My converted coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savannahg424, Feb 15, 2014.

1. savannahg424

savannahg424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    Northern California coast
    I used to raise goats so I decided rather than completely build I new coop I would convert the goat shed. The shed is built off of a fence so one of the walls as 1/4 inch gaps and a ledge near the bottom. The other three walls are completely solid. Do I need to cover the gaps or are they fine? Also, the roof is shingled but it tends to leak a bit creating some drips from the ceiling when it rains heavily. Will this be a problem for the chickens? Thank you!

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Yes seal it up and make sure you have enough ventilation, the dryer the inside is the better everybody will be.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I wouldn't cover the gaps.

I would be tempted to take out two complete walls and replace with hardware cloth.

I would fix the drips though, the chickens will stay healthier if their roosts and nest boxes stay dry.

Where you live is hot, you only need enough shelter to keep them dry, other than that the more open the better since that also means it will be cooler.

As long as you are not going to get to -10F or worse, there is no reason to put them in a box, and many reasons to keep them in the open. (As long as it is predator proof of course)

4. savannahg424

savannahg424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    It is never above 70 so I'm not worried about them getting to hot. It is always foggy and cold though.

5. Alaskan

Cold like 20F, 40F???

6. savannahg424

savannahg424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    during the spring summer fall it ranges between 50f and 65f during the winter it will dip to the 30s with no snow

7. Sounds like Crescent City[​IMG] Horizontal rain (normally) in the winter, too[​IMG]

8. Alaskan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by