1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My cooler incubator work, I have new babies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willowcol, Oct 25, 2008.

1. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I am so excited. After going to clean the coop 3 weeks ago and finding a nest with 10 eggs in it (not knowing my girls had started laying yet), I scrambled with my kids to make a incubator not wanting to throw out our first eggs we got (not wanting to eat them since I didn't know the age and I only have 2 hens). Well we go online read a bit, found a old cooler, a old heating pad and started drilling holes for air. The temp wouldn't go up so I washed a popouri pot and filled it with water (the kind you plug up and put liquid popouri in) and added that. watched the temp and drilled more holes til the temp got to 100. Not thinking it would work , but wanting to try, plus my kids are homeschooled and figured it be a fun project for them to turn 3 times a day ect. well yesterday it happend. we have 8 babies, 1 egg still in the bator. 1 died after it started to get out but I am truly amazed. I am a chicken mama, Yeah!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How cool. Can you post some pics of the fuzzy butts?

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Thats awsome !!!! Good way to put them to good use !!!! Ohhhh yes, PICS PICS !!!!!!

4. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    No problem with the pics as soon as I figure out how to post them, I am reading now. Seems as though I am not to computer savy.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Post pics to somewhere like Photobucket, then it will give a link to copy and paste in your post and the pics will show up.

6. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Cute babies, thats a good hatch rate too!!!!

8. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Not sure what they will grow to look like. THe mom's are both Black sexlink, The dad's well I have 3 roosters 1 Brown leghorn, 1 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, Kinda looks like there are chick like all 3 Roosters, lol.

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    very cool!

10. jruner

jruner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Challis, Idaho
    Very nice congratulations, I love the cooler idea! I hope to buy some eggs and let my daughter help incubate and care for them. She loves animals!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by