1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My coop ... aka: Chicken Resort

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 10xmama, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 10xmama

10xmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    My husband knew I would love to have chickens. He surely put his all into building a coop for me. We began the coop in Feb 2013. I ordered my chicks to arrive 4/15/13 the monday after Easter. The coop was officially finished when the chickens were about 6wks old. We had to move them into the coop then b/c they were pecking eachother in the brooder.

The last few months have been delightful learning how to care for the chickens. We are just now coming into egg laying. The chickens provide us with wonderful eggs and hours of entertainment.

Here are the pictures of our chicken resort -- (some of these pictures are older so the chickens look little ... they are now 19wks old)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some decor to make it homey :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue paper is not there anymore. That was just to protect the glass while we painted.
    And .... I had to put up a chandelier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adding enough sand took a while. We eventually got in enough to cover the piping my DH put in for drainage purposes....

[​IMG]

We LOVE our automatic coop door. No more having to run open the door when we first awake.

[​IMG]

They got treated to a flock block last month. They enjoyed it. I took it out after a few days b/c it seemed to give them runny dark poop. I wasn't sure that was ok.

[​IMG]

It seems they love to roost up high where they can look out the windows and enjoy the evening breeze.

[​IMG]

We let the girls out for the first time two nights ago. They enjoyed it so much.

[​IMG]

Last night we let them out again. Our family enjoys watching them so much ... we brought out chairs so we could watch them run around the grounds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. 10xmama

May 14, 2011
    I suppose I should say my husband is a builder :)

He didn't swing the hammer on this but drew up actual plans and had some of our guys build it out while they were finishing our barn.

3. dcindell

dcindell New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    That is beyond amazing! Love the decor:)

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have experienced Coop Envy before, many times, but NOTHING like the serious case I've got now.

Dang, 10xMama, THAT'S some coop!

The high-roostin' birds appreciate fine lighting appliances and wanna b associated with the chandelier's opulent proof of status.

(The higher the roost, the greater the status in the pecking order.)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Very Cool!

How do you open and close the windows?

6. 10xmama

May 14, 2011
    The windows open and close from outside of the coop. They are held open with simple white boards/sticks. There is a little notch in the end so it sits just right on the wood. We've had some big storms and they didn't budge. The windows are lined with hardware cloth that is very well secured.

7. 10xmama

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the complements :)

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's a very nice coop! I just love the windows by the roosts! I love the look, the run and especially the decor!

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but we use a litter box scooper to clean out the poop inside the run. Your chickens look so happy in their beautiful new home!

9. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Your coop is fabulous! The children look so cute out watching chicken TV. You should be over run with eggs from those happy chickens.

10. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    I'd love to have one like that its so cool [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by