1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Coop and Question for you :D

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quailbuddy, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Here is our Coop. We are going to start working on the run next weekend but I have some questions when would be a good time for the" group" to stay in the coop outside? considering the variety of ages. Our nights here are about 50-60 degrees
    Also for the bottom of our run should we have drainage gravel and then sand? What do you suggest?
    And last but not least for the flooring inside the coop should we use a linoleum sheet or stick on tiles or thick porch paint?

* We have ages 2 weeks to 3 days...
    Below is the "before" picture of our coop... it is 5ft by 4ft
    [​IMG]

Below is the "after" Picture of our coop,, we stained it to protect it from weather [​IMG] we also have a ladder for them to get into the coop which is not pictured
    [​IMG]

Below is the three older girls ( Fern, Autumn and Acorn) in the coop exploring
    [​IMG]

Below are our two Buff Orps. Fern is on the left and Autumn is on the right , they wouldnt hold still so we let them roost on our arm for the picture
    [​IMG]

Below is our EE named Acorn, she is such a sweetie!
    [​IMG]

Below is our two Barred girls. Basil is on the left and Olive is on the right.
    [​IMG]

Below is our " Showgirl" / turken naked neck Named Margarita [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is the whole gang of fuzzy butts
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Thier cute! Nice coop too!

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I just love it! Did you use old barnwood??

4. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I like the red trim on the coop and the way your chickens can cling to vertical things [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Cute coop...and that showgirl is adorable! [​IMG] That range of age is tough, since it'd be nice to put them all out there at the same time. I'd shoot for your youngest at 2 weeks (oldest at 4 weeks), if you can use an extension cord to wire up a heat lamp really securely then. Those little ones will still need heat at night (not sure what your days are like) for a few weeks.

If I were doing it, I'd do drainage gravel/rock with sand on top, but many just go with sand... I would want really good drainage.

6. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Thank you

Quote:It was made out of Old and recycled materials but we actually bought it at our local Farm Supply Center

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you and I couldnt stop laughing when i read that hahaha My chickens are very talented [​IMG]
    I couldnt figure how to make pictures go the "right" way

7. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:thank you, yes she is quite a cutie! Thank you for your advice. That sounds good for them all to go out when the youngest is 2 weeks. I have electricity out back so i will be able to use a heat lamp for the little girls.

8. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I thought they were some chicken / spiderman cross of some kind. [​IMG]

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    [​IMG] UR coop is SO cute and so are ur girls. I like variety too. Don't put sand on top of gravel , the sand will just work its' way down. A good outdoor or porch paint will work but I think the concensus is linoleum. Mine is plastic so I don't use either. I let my girls out at 8wks in the pen but chicks with mamma's are out way earlier. If they are just in the coop I'd say ok now to let theoldest start getting used to the weather. Have fun! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  10. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I hate to interupt, but "Rooster Cogburn" is the coolest nickname of all time I only wish I had thought of it. Not to mention it is a great movie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by