My coop and run almost done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sugarbush, Feb 14, 2009.

1. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    You can see the coop construction pictures on my pages under red cedar coop. I made one for myself and added a run yesterday. The run is done accept for the wire on top because I ran out of daylight. The chickens are mad that they cannot roam free anymore, but the neighbors are happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Nice set up. Did you build it yourself? If yes, you should enter it in the next coop contest.

3. sugarbush

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Yes, and it was entered in the last, minus the run.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    looks GREAT [​IMG]

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Its very nice, is it made of red cedar? If it is, does the wood put off fumes?

6. sugarbush

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Yes they are red cedar, the wood loses its smell within a few days of being cut.

I put it in our garden so I can drop the manure into the composter easily and throw waste produce to the chickens. It is actually sitting on a raise garden bed that I removed the soil from and replaced with wood mulch.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very cute coop, I really like it [​IMG]

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    looks real nice.
    Good Job.

9. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Hey I'm thinking of doing a run for the coop you made me. That one looks good! Do you leave the pop door open or are you going into the run to close it at night?

10. sugarbush

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I leave the door open, but the top of the run completely lifts off as one piece so I can get into it if I need to. I haven't had any preditor problems around here so leaving the door open works for me.

The run is actually pretty simple. You can do it with 2x4s ripped in half on a tablesaw. I just built frames and covered them with wire, then I screwed them all together to form the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by