1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My coop and run (for now)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by John8404, Dec 26, 2009.

1. John8404

John8404 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this works. Thanks for looking and I will take all advise on posting pics and coop design. I still have to paint it and add windows when I find them or make my own.

John

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    That looks nice John! From the pics it looks like just chicken wire around the coop? That won't keep out predators, it just keeps the chickens in. Just a suggestion, I can't see close up in the pics but if there isn't hardware cloth around the perimeter of the coop and run, consider adding it around 12-18" deep. [​IMG]

3. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Hi John. What a nice coop and run your pretty girls have! I am fairly new, but have heard the roosts should be 2x4s with the 4inch side up if you have freezing weather so their toes don't freeze. But we have permanent snow on the ground here in NH, and you don't look like you have any, so maybe you are somewhere warm. Here is a pic of my roosts. They have a "droppings" board under them to keep the poop off the floor, as they poop a LOT at night. It keeps my litter cleaner and I have less to do in the morning.
    [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks great! The only thing I would do is reinforce that chicken wire with something more heavy duty. Chicken wire is made to keep chickens in, but it won't keep predators out. [​IMG]

5. John8404

John8404 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone. The chicken wire is buried and flattened out and I plan on putting welded wire arount the run, I just have to remove it from the posts that it's attached to I also put them in at night.. The 2x4's will be changed when the girls get alittle older (my screw up). It does not get very cold here tho.. The hatchery I purched them from had no coop and a round steel perch they used. They seem to want to sleep in the pine shavings tho. Still in search of some DE locally. The feed store does not have the food grade stuff, only the non-food grade. Just bought a 50 lb bag of layer crumbles (Nutrina?) for 8 dollars and some change. I thought that was a pretty good price. Well time to go put the girls to bed. Talk to ya'all in the am.

John

6. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] That is a REALLY good price!!

7. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Nice! Wish I had one like it!

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:The welded wire will be perfect! [​IMG] Locking them in at night also helps a TON! Good for you! I wish everyone would do that. It saves a lot of heartache in the long run.

9. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Looks like you did a good job to me.

10. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I have to say i like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by