My coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jjdesch, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jjdesch

jjdesch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Long Island
    This is my rural-esque suburban setup. The coop I bought from agway - two jobs and really no time, tools or skills to build. I did build the runs, however. The one that attachs directly to the coop was originally intended to be light and mobile. I used stained 1X3's, filberglass rods and chicken wire. The fiberglass rods allow the run to be easily disassembled and also provide a hinge to allow access into the run for raking, etc. I have since reinforced the chicken wire with a layer of hardware cloth. The second run is built from stained 2X3's and hardware cloth. I built an access gate and a rope-operated guilotine door to separate/join the runs for maintenance, etc. A $50 electric fence surround the perimeter of both runs, which have a sand bottom. We try to let the girls out for a few hours each day, but only when we can supervise, as my back yard is not fenced in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of my girls:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    very lovely! well done! [​IMG]

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Very nice. [​IMG]

4. jjdesch

Jun 11, 2009
    Long Island
    Thank you both - they seem happy enough. I forgot to add that the coop is 3X5 and runs are each 4X8. I would like to add two more chickens (australorps) but this will have to wait until phase 3!

5. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Looks Great!! [​IMG] from IN

6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great![​IMG]

I have a question on your feeder. I would like to do something like this for grit and oyster shells. Does the feed flow around the curve at the end of the pvc pipe enough for the chickens to reach ok? Any problem with clogging? How wide is the pipe - 3"? Thanks!

7. jjdesch

Jun 11, 2009
    Long Island
    This is how it looked originally, with some -snif- baby pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many of the improvement ideas I picked up here, so thanks to all of you!

8. jjdesch

Jun 11, 2009
    Long Island
    newchicks...

The pipe is acutally waterer, and the jury is out as to whether I like it or not - it seems to get dirty too quickly

9. jjdesch

Jun 11, 2009
    Long Island
    oh, i am sorry, the pipe is 3" i am thinking about constructing a feeder out of the same diameter pipe for inside the coop, but will try a 60 degree elbow first, filling a hozritonal run with 2 1/2 inch feeding holes

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the info jjdesch! Your birds sure do look happy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by