My coop and run!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kat4011, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    So I finally finished my coop and run and the girls are out and about enjoying the much larger space. I had someone build me the shed and my DH and I built the run.

For the run, I made it 6 feet high with the top 4 feet being a 14 gauge 3/4"x3/4" hardwire cloth and the bottom two feet and a foot that's aproned off being a 16 gauge 1/2"x1/2" hardwire cloth (I would have done everything in the smaller one but they only had one roll of each). Everything has been hand stapled in. The roof is plastic to keep the rain out (a must in Seattle!). The run is about 20' long and 12' wide at one end and 6' wide at the other end. The shed is 8x6.

My question is do you think this is safe enough to leave them out during the day while I'm gone? I haven't seen anything but cats out during the day and they go inside with their door shut at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Looks safe to me. Very nice handiwork on that hill [​IMG]

3. Kat4011

May 24, 2011
    I'll have to forward that to my DH! He built a wall that didn't work and we were both stumped on how to work with the hill. We had to brace the crap out of it, and putting up the hardwire cloth was a nightmare, but its pretty steady! Now I just need to buy a little fill dirt for one uneven patch that the chicks seem to like to dust bath in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Looks secure to me [​IMG] Stray dogs and hawks seem to be the main daytime predators, and with the wire you used and your skirt, you've addressed that...

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks awesome!!! Only predator problem you might have would be a bear, but don't hear very many people complain about that, so rest easy.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks good to me, your covered for air attacks(hawks etc) and dog/cats.. so that should pretty much cover you for your daytime. We free range here, our biggest predators are at night time. Nice job at working around the uneven space to [​IMG]

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I agree, it looks solid. You might want to consider some shade, and I just have ask: does poop really roll down hill? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. Kat4011

May 24, 2011
    I'm glad everyone thinks it looks safe! I'd probably win the award for most paranoid chicken owner!

The run is only in full sun until about 1 pm when I'd say a good 1/3 has shade, full shade by about 4pm.

9. Brand New Chicken Momma

Brand New Chicken Momma Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Oh, I'm pretty sure my DH would love to differ with you on that, according to him, I'm crazy and "there's no way something is getting in there". I kept pestering though, and because he's a good man, he complied. Don't tell him, but I'm still a little paranoid [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by