my coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by betchern0t, Jan 8, 2015.

1. betchern0t

betchern0t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

Steel swing set conversion. I have spent $au30 so far. Cutting disks, hinges and beer for favours. All the framing is from the swingset and an old trampoline. This is why lots of the members are dented. I had to pound out the curve of the circular trampoline. My welding is slowly getting better.

Cheers paul

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan Renaissance man

Feb 18, 2013
    Music City, USA
    That is awesome. I do a little welding myself and I completely understand using the metal you have on hand rather than buying pricey new steel from the supplier. I don't think I've ever seen a welded steel framed coop before.

Can't wait to see this one as it gets a little further along.

3. betchern0t

Jan 7, 2015
    Yeah gets the rubbish under control too. Metal work is just about finished. Just need to make up one or more doors the clad with iron.

4. betchern0t

Jan 7, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just got back to it after a break. I have had a tree removed and taken out two beds. Then I built a frame out of railway sleepers. The sleepers are retired from the railway and were purchased about 20 years ago. They are still good enough for this and they get them out of the rubbish pile. That Australian hardwood is impressive. Here is the coop frame on the sleeper foundation. Cost so far is about $au70 for things like bolts and hinges. The run is about 3.5x2m with the raised coop about 1.5m square. Tomorrow I am thinking about cladding it.

Cheers paul

5. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    Now that I see this, I meant to post about it yesterday but forgot. While driving around yesterday, I saw a chicken coop design that I loved! The actual coop was in the middle, and it has 2 A-line runs on each side. It was a little far from the road , but what I could tell the run looked like it had a good amount of space!

6. betchern0t

Jan 7, 2015
    Today I plugged gaps under the foundation. This is not vermin proofing but just to keep the sand in.

I also completed the metal work under the coop floor tray. Here:

[​IMG].

I also pulled four plywood pallets and began on the tray. Here:

[​IMG].

Decided at the end that it is not worth recycling plywood pallets. Only one of the four had reasonable plywood. Two were just good enough to use but I expect to replace soon. Poor quality to start, water damaged and portions crushed and broken. One sheet went straight into the bin.

Cheers paul

7. betchern0t

Jan 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

Half a days work and the under floor netting is in. Going slow. Hopefully will speed up soon.

Cheers paul

8. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

I really like all the material conversion

9. betchern0t

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks. Leads to the question is it because I am environmentally sensitive or because I am cheap? Hint, I have Scottish blood in my family tree. ;-{)=

Seriously I priced one of *those* coops and runs. You know the ones which have six square feet of space and can fit six chooks. The wife challenged me that I could build a lot of coop for that money. So here I am trading time for money as usual.

Cheers paul

10. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very hands on. Will always take it over pre fab. If you got the materials then why not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by