My Coop and Temporary Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big Cat, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    My wife and I got 6 chicks in March and they out grew the brooder a lot quicker than I though so I had to hurry up and design and build a coop. I used this sight as well as others to get ideas. Once I got them in the coop I soon realized they needed even more room so I through together a run. We are moving in 5 months so I had to make the coop able to be relocated and not too heavy and the run very simple yet secure. The Roof is removable which significantly reduces the weight. I will build a much bigger run once we move.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://bigcatguideservice.blogspot.com/

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Once my hubby comes to terms with the lose of his strawberry bed, (that he would not weed), I intend to redesign mine with a little run like the one you have. [​IMG]

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG]

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That looks like a nice shady setup!

5. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Hi, it looks very similar to mine, but I like your nest box better! You're smart to plan ahead for the move. You might want to add some 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottom half of your fence to protect against predators. A raccoon can easily reach in and rip their little heads off. There are so many stories on BYC about loss due to any number of predators.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I will definatly use the 1/2" on my new run. I am not too worried about predators where I am now. I have the 6ft privacy fence around the whole yard as well as a chocolate and black lab in the yard. I think that will be good for now. They are locked in the coop at night.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Quote:It is very shady There are 6 Large Oak trees in this small yard. I noticed a couple nights ago it was rainign during a storm and the run and coop werent even getting wet from all the tree cover. Kinda makes for a dusty run though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by