My coop build, on a cliff/mountain.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quicky06, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Quicky06

Quicky06 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Well the chicks will be at my local farm store in a couple weeks and I had a couple of days with decent weather so I started work.

I plan on having 6 hens max but will be starting with 4. after looking through the coops on here I had a drawing with what i wanted and the size it would then i found "The Palace" which is what i had in mind although there will be some changes such as a storage box and location of the nesting boxes and doors due to the slop of the yard. It will be 12x6 with an 1 foot roof overhang on all sides

My yard is very steep, Its a walk out and there are 8 steps from the walkout basement door to get to the ground. So I originally planed on building a cinder block foundation and poring a concrete slab with a drain in order to have a level surface but The area I want/need to put it at is on a sewer easment and the pipe is less than a foot under ground so digging was not an option.

So I decided to use precast concrete blocks that you can get at any hardware store to use as a base and build a deck.

After some frustration due to large rocks I had the blocks in place and leveled.

[​IMG]

Then I got some wood, this should be everything but trim as far as lumber is concerned. with my civic and custom trailer this took me a 6 hours of making trips to the store to get.

[​IMG]

Now I need to build the deck, the framing will be 2x6 with 4x4 posts, 3x 3 1/2" screwes in each joint with 5" lag bolts and fender washers holding the frame to the posts.

Since I am building this on my own except when I have to have help and I can get someone I decided to Build the deck as a unit then move it into place and attach the posts and level. The only flat spot I have is the garage so Thats where it got built, When building a 2x6x12 is longer then 12' so make sure you trim them

[​IMG]

Once it was built I Dragged it down to the hill, used stakes and string to get an idea of how long the corner posts should be and screwed then attached the corner post the the frame with the framing screws temporarily. Then got someone from work to help me move it on the corner blocks. sorry for the bad picture I work 12 hour shifts so got off after dark and used the help when I had it.

[​IMG]

Now next day we were slow at work so I bailed early on Saturday and got home around 3, I made sure the frame was square then leveled it was only off a 1/2", I made it level long wise but it has a 1/2" tilt to the down hill side to give a little drainage help. Once it was leveled I predrilled and lag bolted the corners, 4 bolts each. after that was done it was simple to measure the middle 4 posts and and put them into place. I used 3.5 " screws through the short boards and 2 5" lags through the long boards.

At This point I had a goal to get the 3/4" treated plywood before the snow moved in, and for some reason the weather channel forgot to mention the sleet. So i rushed and cut the boards to 6 foot and screwed them to the decking, Some tips : make sure its square before the plywood goes on, the treated plywood is wider then 4' so start with the center boards the do the outside, then I took a chalk line and trimmed the ends so they are flush with the frame, this is done to insure that the seams are supported by a 2x6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it Until wensday which is my next day off and, oh and the barrel made for a good heat source while building, it was in the 20s. for now its all wrapped, up

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice!

Got a plan for rain water coming off the hill?

3. Quicky06

Jan 18, 2015
    Rain water is not much of a concern in that spot. Its directly behind the house water runs down the sides of the house(which is a different spring project), When I moved in to this place in june there was a play set in back that I gave to the neighbors across the street and the mulch that was under the play set is still in place. the combined with rock not soil ( it is clay and coarse rock very little dirty) gives me no worries of erosion issues,

With that being said I have the intention of covering the blocks with gravel or dirt of some sort. Will get it when I get my load of sand.

4. Quicky06

Jan 18, 2015
    Well tonigt I learned I can heat my un insulated garage with my 2 cheap radiator heaters. So I got the main walls done, well almost done. I have 2 little pieces to put on but my pocket hole bit broke for some reason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with a 2' drop across the 6' roof. Which is a bit over kill nut the metal roof I want to use recommends a steeper slope.

One noticeable change I made was I made the door to the range wider. Made it 40" to allow my wheel barrel to make it inside easily if need be. I figured since I am making the frame and the door from scratch I should make it big enough to make my life easier.

Also I am using 3 foot metal roof panels. So 14' would of waisted a foot so I am going to have the roof hang an extra foot over in the coop side. I still haven't decided if I am going to put the nesting boxes on the front or the side. Either way the front wall will be on hinges to open for cleaning

More snow to come on the day after tomorrow so I might build the side walls and the roof tomorrow night so I can go up quickly this weekend I will have to wait a week for my roof to show up

5. Quicky06

Jan 18, 2015
    Had a couple hours of decent weather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

notice the horizontal boards below the roof rafters. these made life simple to install the rafters ,I am not sure if I am going to remove them or not after I finish the roof.

First thing tomorrow is to trim the vertical pieces above the roof line. then measure the roof and get the metal roofing ordered.

6. Quicky06

Jan 18, 2015
    Great weather this weekend, got some more work done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the entire front side of the coop will be on hinges, and will also have the nesting boxes in it. Due to the slop of the yard this was the only real option in order to make i accessible. I got as much work done as I could, before i ran out of 3 inch screws, and kreg hd pocket screws, I also ran ut of 2x4's' Lowes did not have any of the pocket screws which are manditory when you are doing things the way I am. So I have those ordered online should be here Tuesday, I ordered 150 ft of 24" hardware cloth from wafair tonight so I have until it gets here to get to painting an finish things. I still need to make the pop door, man door to the run, and I am going to be making a storage box on the side with the coop on it, will be atleast to the coop hieght,

Tomorrow the metal roof will get ordered, for the main roof and the nesting boxes and storage box. And I should have my food grade barrrels here for the rain water collection too.

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    That is awesome. What did you use for roofing material? Can't wait til we see chickens in it.

8. Quicky06

Jan 18, 2015
    Right now it is just 1/2" plywood, 1/2 was a dollar a sheet more then 11/32 so It made sense to make it stronger. The rafters are not evenly spaced over the coop but the max distance is 2 feet. I will be covering it with 29 gauge ABC imperial rib metal roofing.

The farm store near me ran out of barred rocks with their first shipment in a couple hours, Will be a couple weeks before they get more, I am about 2 hours away from Cackle Hatchery and was going to drive down tomorrow and get some but my girlfriend informed me that i am supposed to take her with me so it will be the 18th before we get the chicks

9. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    It is looking absolutely brilliant so far!

10. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    In the pic it looks white like some kind of plastic sheeting. That is cool you are using metal. Have fun getting the new babies on the 18th. Happy belated Valentine's Day. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by