My coop design, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Srawl, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013

[​IMG]

After doing a lot of looking around I decided to play around on paint (who doesnt love to waste time at work on paint?) and I designed this with the inspiration from a few coops on this forum. If I cannot find a little tikes type play house for cheap in my area I think I will build one like this.

Im planning on making it 6-7' long x 3-4' wide x 4-5' tall in the front and 3-4' in the back.

I am planning on starting with 3-4 hens and working up to 6-8 depending on how things go.

It was thrown togeather pretty quick so dont judge my painting skills[​IMG]

Any questions, comments, or advice, about it please feel free.

Thanks,

Shane

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    A couple things to consider is how many chickens you will want in the future. AAlways build big. This happened with myself. I had a coop that can hold up to 16 chicken but I made a run that could hold 4-5 and that's how many I got. After two months of having them I was up to 11 so I added another 130 square feet to it. Also if you want to hold your birds, clean the coop, and give them fresh food and water I suggest you build it around fix and a half to 6 feet tall. Finally i would have at least 6-8 square feet per bird in the run and 2 square feet in the coop. So that means for 8 chickens you should at least have a 8x8 run and a 4x4 coop. Just some things to consider.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by