my coop has arrived

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tuppence, Jul 6, 2011.

1. tuppence

tuppence New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    hi, my coop arrived on saturday, we are in the proccess of building it but it has no nest / roosting , we are going to build some, what size should they be?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    really depends on the size of your coop and how many chickens you have- usually one nest box per every 3-4 chickens is good, my nest box is around 18"x18"x18". My roost is 4 ft long and it is a 2x4 laid flat so that the chickens can stand on the wide side of it when they roost- this is especially important in cold climates where they need to keep their toes warm. [​IMG]

3. tuppence

tuppence New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    thanks it is`nt that big itcan hold 4 chickens, i thought they needed a nest box each am i mistaken?

4. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:1 box for every 4 to 5 chickens is enough. You can put in more boxes, but you'll probably find that your hens wait in line for the 'best' box -- or they get impatient and all 4 pile in to the same box at the same time and all try and lay!

5. tuppence

tuppence New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    thanks again guys i have just clicked on "look" wow! i only want a fw chickens for fresh eggs for baking and eating i could never go for your scale, more `s the pity. one day maybe!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by