My coop has suddenly gone TOTALLY hormonal!!! wow!

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
Oh, I am not complaining... and maybe it's happened to you. I find it quite amusing.

Started with 2 chickens last fall.. a pullet and a cockerel.

This spring we bought 3 more babies.

Right now I have,

a 16 week old pullet (Missi) and cockerel (Rosie).
3 - 17 to 18 week old pullets
a 1 year old hen (Midnight) and 1 year old rooster (Rusty), all in the same coop.

separated, I have 3 pullets and a cockerel, all about 17 weeks old. (bantams and an OEGR)

2 days ago the rooster (Rusty) discovered that those pullets are for him. (if you know what I mean) Today I go to the coop to let everyone out and Midnight the hen has gone broody and Rosie the Cockerel is discovering what pullets are for. Or at least giving it his best shot. He is not very graceful.. nor successful.

Hormones are definitely going amuck here and it's so cool!
I guess that we will see if anything comes of Midnights sitting!

Chickens are so cool!

Last edited:
yippiechickie.gif
It's exciting too isn't it! I love chickens!!!
BTW...your website is coming along great...excellent pics!
~Rebecca

may I suggest that you cut them an entrance and exit door and let them enter and exit from the coop into the run themselves . Actually a way to get away from this roos .

He ( the roos) is doing his job . :)

I have my whole flock in same coop and run . The only breed that I separate are my bantams .

Hormonal happenings in my coop as well! Just noticed last night that Henry was gettin' friendly with one of his girls.
tongue.png
and she was the golden comet who is trying out the nest boxes. So I figure it's only a matter of days! I hope not weeks still.
fl.gif

Quote:
Thanks Cajun.. there are 2 doors cut so that they can enter the coop them selves. I am not sure why you thought there wasn't. Maybe because I said I went to let them out.

I lock the pop doors at night. I won't leave them open all night.

needmorechickens! :

yippiechickie.gif
It's exciting too isn't it! I love chickens!!!
BTW...your website is coming along great...excellent pics!
~Rebecca

and thanks Rebecca.. I have SO MANY MORE pictures to add. I take them almost daily!
cool.png

My girls hit puberty last week. All of a sudden it's an ongoing squabble to establish the pecking order.

Strangely, the bantam cochin who is a month older is excluded from all fights. I don't think she's the lowest, either. It's weird.

i checked under midnight and she was only sitting on a small whiffle ball. I stuck her last 2 eggs that I had collected, under her.

so we will see.

she churrs and coos if you pet her or touch her. We fed her by hand and offered her water tonight as well.

Back
Top Bottom