My coop I made with stuff I had laying around.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tombrewster421, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Tombrewster421

Tombrewster421 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    WA
    Here's my coop that I attached to an existing shed with leftover materials from my jobs. It's 6' by 12' with a raised floor made of car decking.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see that I installed electrical. The roosts are on the left with trays that pull out to collect the manure. On the right is the nesting boxes with storage and a brooder above.[​IMG]
    here's a close up of the manure tray.
    [​IMG]
    here's the brooder with some chicks. To the right you can just make out the feeder. There's also an automatic waterer next to it. I just need to figure out a way to make that work when it freezes outside.
    [​IMG]
    here you see the door on the other side. The chicken door and ramp. You have to go through the coop to get into the run. I thought this would be the best way to keep out predators.(like my dog) You can also see the cute windows I saved from my shed building days.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a view of the large run. One day I might get around to covering it, and painting the coop and shed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. 78Vette

78Vette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    That looks good. I may try somthing like that for the roost and manure tray. That looks like a good idea.

3. colson

colson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    South Dakota
    That looks awesome haha!

4. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    [​IMG] I LOVE it!!!! I wish you could come here and build some houses for me, LOL!

5. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    That's a very nice coop. :D

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks great! :)

7. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    It is always great when you can use free resources. We had to buy some supplies for our last coop and it just about killed me.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You had all that stuff just laying around? Can I come dig in your scrap pile? ;)

9. Tombrewster421

Tombrewster421 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    WA

There's not much left to pick through. Got a bunch of scrap steel though. Maybe someday I'll get around to a welding project.

10. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    Great looking coop...to keep your automatic waterer from freezing, and without knowing the type of system it is, could you use heat tape that is used for water pipes under mobile homes? Just wrap it around and plug it in?

Made my coop out of recycled materials also, but I don't think my scrap pile is as nice as yours...lol....mine's a little rough looking, especially when compared to yours..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by