1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Coop in progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SkeeredChicken, Apr 11, 2007.

1. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Let me first say, that I am, in no way, an expert at building anything. With that said, I thought I would give it an honest try, anyway. The desgin is simple. Just a sort of plain 8' by 8' shed type design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's the start. Still needs ALOT of work. I want to add some vents to the bottom sides for ventilation, and maybe one of those classic tops. I know when I visited my grandparents for the summer as a child, they had something similar. Maybe I'll paint it like that one, lol. I also want windows in it. Though I heard that if you put some in that slant out, the chickens will try to roost on it. Just want to avoid that aspect.

Enjoy!

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Looks good to me. Put hardware cloth over the windows so they can's sit on the sill, and other critters can't get in. [​IMG]

3. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    3 sides almost completed (if you can call it that, lol). Still need windows, vents, plywood, etc. Good, happy stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these photos were taken with my cell phone, lol. So I know they're less than great. But at least I get some use out of that camera part of my phone. I REALLY hope this works out, is stable and holds itself together. This is really my 1st time building something like this. But there is nothing like the satisfaction of building something with your own two hands [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Moving ever so slowly on building my coop, oy! Wish I had it done, already. Lord knows it needs done, already, lol [​IMG] I got the wlls with the windows pretty much framed. Money and transportation seems to be a limiting factor. But here's at least a Google SketchUp drawing of how I'd like it to look [​IMG] Well, minus two sides so you can see a partial inside view.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  5. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Looks like your doing a great job so far, I am nearing completion of my coop, I have time issues too so its slow going but I thought ide share the plans I worked up before I started on mine.
    [​IMG]
    I know its a little lacking in detail, I guess im just not good at plans [​IMG]

Keep up the great work, I think its going to be really nice, have you decided on colors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by