1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Coop in smalltown Alberta

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omeletta, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    We (DH, with me supervising, swinging a hammer occassionally and hurting people) finished the coop a couple of months ago, but just recently moved the poor thing to it's final resting place after dragging it to all corners of our yard first. I think I'm happy now, and when Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy :thun

It's insulated up the wha-zoo, as we get those eskimo winters here. We will add a heat bulb for just in cases for winter. Dig the heart shaped window! DH said, "you want a window?" "yes please" I say. "Alrighty" says he. "Can it be heart shaped?'' Blank stare(it was a nice blank stare tho) Then some blinking, then a huge grin(cuz he can make his bigger and better than the very competetive friend we have, healthy competition, mind you [​IMG]

Anyways, I'm pleased as punch, and the ladies seem to like it.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The hearts are sweet. Nice job.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

[​IMG]

How cute! I assume everything can be secured up at night so no predators can bust in and make a quick meal out of the girls?

4. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Ya, it's pretty secure. We don't have any coons here, no coyotes, and a cat or dog would have a hard time working the gate latch.

Thanx for looking.... [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It is sooo cute! I just love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wow, not even coons!

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    ahhh!

How cute [​IMG]

8. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    lucky! no coons nothing!
    nice coop!
    looks well built!
    is there a top on your run??

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

That is really cute. Where are you at? I was born in Edmonton, grew up in Raymond, have lived in Calgary, Lethbridge, Coalhurst, Coaldale and Grand Prairie....

10. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I live just north of Calgary. Been here for 11 years now. Really like it here, but DH and I are looking for some land, and have been searching in Saskatchewan because it's cheaper there. Prices here have gone thru the roof!
    [​IMG]

We want to do meat birds, turkeys and chickens, pigs, lamb, beef, and a milking cow. People around here are big into organic and free-ranged. Quite a market, for those that can develop it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by