My coop is in a shaded spot of my yard... sun and light issues?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by atclarkson, Aug 23, 2010.

1. atclarkson

atclarkson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Hey all, first post.

I'm building a coop in my in-town yard in the only spot that makes sense, beside my shed and fence. It is a corner lot very open to the street with little privacy (I am building a fence next summer to help with this). Anywho. Fence is on east side of property, so is Shed:

EAST HUGE NEIGHBOR TREES MAKE LOTS OF SHADE IN AM/NOON

___________________________ Fence

SHED COOP
    SHED COOP
    HOUSE SHED COOP
    HOUSE Fence on this side too SOUTH
    HOUSE Lots of trees and shade
    HOUSE
    HOUSE

_____________________________ STREET

WEST

Ok. Where to I put the windows, where should ventilation go, etc? Egg box is going on side closest to house (North) and Full wall doors on the West side. I expect South makes sense as does east, but the area is shaded much of the day. I want to make sure the girls get lots of light/sun so they produce properly.

Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    You can always get a light to put in the coop, either with extension cords or maybe you are lucky to have electricity to your coop already. Many do this for warmth and longer days in the winter too. Some people around where I live, have friends that keep a light on all night, they are sure it produces more eggs. However, I think our feathered friends need day & night like the rest of us.

3. atclarkson

Aug 23, 2010
    wow that was fast! I'll look at daylight bulbs... good luck with your fight against the city tomorrow!

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i would put a window on each side and a ventilation on all 4 sides too for cross ventilation

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Looks good. I'd want to make sure the coop couldn't be seen by passersby. Is is shady in that proposed location? Is shade an issue where you live?

6. atclarkson

Aug 23, 2010
    The proposed location is shady, and shade is an issue at my place. Lots of big, mature trees (great for every other reason but this one!)

I liek the window on each side, I think I have at least 3 windows picked out.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Do you want shade? It sounds like you don't. For me, the shadiest spot would be the best choice. [​IMG] Clarify?

8. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Quote:There are lots of good posts on here about ventilation, if you search you ought to find them. Its especially important in the winters with the moisture that the chickens make as well. Not sure what climate you are in, but be sure to search and make sure you have it well ventilated.

[​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens don't need to be in full sun in order to lay. Even in a shady location they'll get enough daytime light. If you live someplace that gets hot in the summer, you'll be very glad for that shade!

If there are no sunny spots where you're putting the run, you chickens will enjoy being let out in your yard occasionally to explore and sunbathe. They lie on their sides and stretch out a wing.

[​IMG]

10. atclarkson

Aug 23, 2010
    It's all coming together now. I've got a large south window, a smaller west window by the big door, and there may be a small window go in the north side. The roof has adjustable ventilation under the sills, and all the windows fully open and are well protected with steel wire cloth. I'll get a pic up soon, I hope to have it done tomorrow. I'm now going to read the ventilation posts to make sure i have it right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by