1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Coop is Nearly Finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunsis, Aug 1, 2013.

1. cajunsis

cajunsis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    We worked for months and months, but finally it is very close to being done. The chickens have been in it for a few months even though we are not yet finished, but you can see how it looks now and we have very little to finish. Rather than post pics here, I am posting a link to my blog so you can see it there.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to ask here or on the blog. If you don't want to register there, just comment or ask your questions under 'anonymous' and leave your name in the body of the comment - that way you will know who I am answering.

Would love to hear your comments and suggestions.

We are thinking about where to add the laying boxes. Would a line of boxes under the poop boards work? If so, should they be set back or would along the edge work?

Hope you enjoy it!

Euvah

The Chicken Coop Blog

My Blog

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Great job on a beautiful coop. You should enter it in the coop contest here on BYC. Best of luck with it and your chickens. BTW...I know the feeling of having the chickens in an unfinished coop. Mine have been living in their coop for 2 months now. I still have to finish the permanent run, the nesting boxes and paint it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a pretty snazzy coop!

Can you post a pic from the inside and outside of the pop door when it's closed?...now that your all rested up from the reunions :) ours is next week, NOT at my house.

Your blog is great!

4. cajunsis

Mar 17, 2013
    There is a contest here? I will have to look for where to enter it. I am a 'new egg' here, so I am still learning.

Here are the pictures you requested for the inside and outside of the closed door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said, it is well worth every single penny we paid!

Thanks for the compliments on the blog - I love doing it, but I do it more for myself than anything. Good luck on the reunion - and thank God it is not at your place! Refer to *What was I thinking?* Lol...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks for the pics, I was watching his video and wondered if the exposed wiring, cable and motor would get 'fowled' (haha) from the bedding, dust etc....or just pecked by the birds.

Yes, I read your posts on the 'what was I thinking', made me chuckle. You have a great way with words that I enjoyed. Our reunion is being managed by other family members at our summer place, I helped with a lot of the planning tasks, but not the majority of it. I have no hosting skills but good planning and documentation/graphics skills.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Very beautiful coop!

7. cajunsis

Mar 17, 2013
    My daughter and I have the same doors. Her hubby installed hers and didn't follow his exact directions - I *think* the door is not as high as the manufacturer recommends - somehow the measurements are not what he recommended. She has had a few times where the door has not closed and we think that is why. He will reinstall it at the correct dimensions when he has time.

Ours, however, has never once had a problem. It opens and closes 100% of the time exactly as advertised. We absolutely love it! I would have no problems leaving it and walking away for a week to go on vacation - if not for Ella. It is amazing. I check the chickens every evening and do a head count, but all the 'normal' chickens make it in. If you read my blog, I have one chicken that is not normal... lol... and occasionally, she 'forgets' to make it back to the coop. With that being said, we do check in every night. If it weren't for Ella, I could walk away and know it would work.

We don't have trouble with the exposed wiring, birds pecking at it or hay getting in the way - as I said, it closes perfectly 100% of the time when the directions are followed. :)

Thanks, Chirpy, for the compliment on the coop.

Hope you have fun at the reunion!

You should buy the door - you won't regret it!

Euvah

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by