my coop is ugly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeepgurl, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    So my coop is really ugly. I have planted honeysuckle on the outside in the hopes that it would eventually cover it and make it prettier. It is working, however, I had to build a fence around the honeysuckle because the chickens love it. I also built a ramada in the chicken yard for shade and want to cover that with roses. The lady at the store told me chickens didnt eat roses. Nobody told my flock this and they massacred the roses. So my question is, what kind of climbing vine can I use that the girls will despise? I would like it to smell good to kinda offset the chicken smell. Any suggestions? Also, are there any plants that are poisonous for my girls? Thanks in advance for any help............Christine.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I can't think of anything the chickens won't eat/kill. I'm not sure how they feel about ivy. Don't spend too much money feeding plants to them...lol.

3. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Can you paint the coop? A paint job can make anything look good. You could also paint on some bright flowered vines ;)

4. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    Here are the images. the outer fence is not finished and its being built just to protect the honeysuckle. Any suggestions? I really would like to cover the whole thing in vines.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chirping

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Why, I don't think it's ugly at all! I like the setup in the second picture a lot.

You're in AZ, right? I'd take a walk around the neighborhood and see what people have on their fences & such. I don't know what grows well in your area (other than citrus trees and cacti - my sis lives in Tucson). Hmmmm...are citrus fruits OK for chickens? If so, how about a cute lemon tree?

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I would go with citrus trees too. I have my vegetable gardens off my chicken pens and i let the hens in after the gardens are finished. They will trash everything in their but never touch the citrus trees.

7. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    Its pretty ugly in person. I have one neighbor that can see down into my backyard and while he says he doesnt mind, his place is pretty and kept neatly so I would like to do this for him as well. I do have a lemon and a tangerine tree that I can pick some leaves off and see if they like it. I would really rather have a climbing vine though. There used to be a huge mesquite in the yard and it was uprooted by a microburst during monsoon and tossed in the street. BTW, I lived in Utah for a few years. First in west jordan, then sandy, then a little town outside of delta. I miss Utah. Its beautiful!

8. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    Going outside now with grape, lemon, tangerine, and plum leaves................

9. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    Well its confirmed. They dont like citrus but they do like grapes. I guess I will just build more fencing to protect the vines and they can eat whatever they can reach. Dang chickens win again!

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Could you espalia? (sp) your citrus trees so they grow along the coup. I have seen it done along walls and it looks great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: