1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My coop! (Lots of pictures!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tanka, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Tanka

Tanka In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Hello BYC'ers! Please bear with me, I'm still relatively new here and still trying to figure out how everything works. In may I picked put six chicks from my local grain store (four barred rocks and two buff orpingtons) and thought I would build my own coop. After searching around on here I thought how hard could it be? So I cleaned out a spot in my yard leveled it out and put pavers down.
    [​IMG]

Then I put a pallet on top. I put down plywood for the floor. And that's as far as I got. I'm not very good with wood working and I just couldn't figure out on my own, haha. So I found a guy on Craigslist that said he would build me one for $200. I thought that was a great deal, turns out it was better then I thought. The coop is almost 5' by 5' on the inside and about 6' tall.
    [​IMG]
    The front
    I also made the ramp.

[​IMG]
    Side with the nesting boxes

[​IMG]
    Other side/back (I was staining, you can see the bucket of stain in the corner of the picture.)

[​IMG]
    Inside

[​IMG]
    Nesting boxes

Then after looking at coops here on BYC I decided it would be a good idea to put the linoleum flooring in my coop. I went to lowes and told them what I'm doing and they brought me to the 'left overs bin'. I got a almost 13' by 6' piece for $8. Great deal!
    [​IMG]

And I cut it up and put it in.
    [​IMG]

The nesting boxes
    [​IMG]

And added pine shavings
    [​IMG]

I also attached the lock
    [​IMG]
    I will take a picture tomorrow of the whole thing all settled in.

My next project is to make the run, which should be fun. I don't know if this will help anyone but its fun sharing.
    Also, if anyone has and tips for building a run please let me know! Thanks! :)

2. Baymule

Baymule Songster 8 Years

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    That is so cute!! You got a really good deal on that coop! Your chicks will love it! [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Awesome! [​IMG]

4. Tanka

Tanka In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks baymule and mr mmk farms!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    No problem!

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man 5 Years

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Great deal on a great looking coop! One suggestion. That ramp looks rather steep in your last photo. I would suggest a softer incline and cleats about every 4-6 inches. best of luck with the new coop and your chickens.

7. tweetr1979

tweetr1979 Chirping

May 6, 2013
    Millmont, PA
    WOW that is a really, really good deal for that coop! Very nice indeed!!!

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Looking good!

9. [​IMG]

10. Tanka

Tanka In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone! And thanks for the tip MoonShadows, I wasn't too sure about the incline and where to put cleats, so I just guessed, haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: