1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my coop made with car port frame

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dulce, Feb 14, 2015.

1. dulce

dulce Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Hemet CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Nice job!

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I have to pitch in here… with a that is awesome! What a neat idea and it looks like the build moved right along. Thank you for the photographs. They do tell and show an awful lot. I may have to think on this, the ideas are just rolling through my mind.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. dulce

dulce Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Hemet CA
    thank u. the legs r in 1 foot of concrete. the sides r are 6 feet tall the door way is also 6ft tall. the coop is 12x13

5. DonnaMac

DonnaMac New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Whitewright Tx
    Wow, that is awesome and has really started me thinking. We started with a small coup and jimmy rigged the run to give them a ton of space, but its back breaking to get in and clean/collect eggs.

Could I ask a couple of questions regarding how you anchored the wood to the frame on the walls and roof ?
    Also I noticed you have a few areas at the bottom left open. Is this for ventilation?

Thanks for posting this. It's absolute genius.

6. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Nice Job on recycling stuff. I never thought of using the frame from an old carport. One concern....is it predator proof? Looks like something could get in the bottom holes or maybe dig under it?

7. DonnaMac

DonnaMac New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Whitewright Tx

The breeder we got our chickens from is updating her coup and we're stealing an idea from hers.
    Around the perimeter they used a ditch wich and drove in a few feet of sheet metal. It extends up a couple of feet too and completely encloses the run. We like the idea of this construction and thought that we would use the sheet metal idea for around the run and coup, but where the door is we will just have the sheet metal underground and then the door enclosed with a wood frame. We'll do the same on the run door.

8. dulce

dulce Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Hemet CA
    I anchored the wood to the frame with 3" self-tapping metal screws. I drilled holes part way into the 2x6 to recess the head of the screws. Then I nailed the paneling to the 2x6's. The roof is made from metal sheets, I used 11/2" self-tapping metal screws to attach them to the frame.

Another note, the frame pieces are secured together with 1" self-tapping metal screws.

The square holes at the bottom are going to have doors on them. They are the way into the run, I just don't have the fence for the run up yet. On the unfinished side, I have two vent holes which are covered by wire with 1" squares, and this same wire under the windows for ventilation.

9. DonnaMac

DonnaMac New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Whitewright Tx

Awesome information, thanks Dulce.
    Much appreciated.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What did you screen the windows with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by