My coop - pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ORChick, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Hi everybody. I got my 6 chicks at the beginning of March, and spent some time building them a coop, after looking through all the great advice here at BYC. My DH was very sick last year (better now), and I needed some therapy after tending him (and dealing with insurance people :eek: ), so I planned and built it mostly all myself.

Its 4'x8', and raised up about 2', to give them shelter from the sun, and the Oregon rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fixed up swinging arms for their feeder and waterer - it makes them easy to fill, and they swing under the house for protection from the weather, and the birds can't sit on them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I found this neat waterer in a garden catalogue - it was rather pricey, but its not plastic, and I can use ACV in it. It isn't really big enough though, so I have a bigger metal one with plain water in it as well. And I really like the way it looks.

[​IMG]

The main doors are double - that is, the inner doors are chicken wire, and the outer doors are solid (with windows for light), but with removable hinges. Now that it is hot those outer doors are off entirely, and will go back on when it starts getting cold at night. There is a little window at either end with a removeable plexiglass pane - you can just see it halfway out of it's frame in this picture - in the hot weather they are out completely. For added ventilation there is a 3-4" gap under the eaves that is always open, and covered with hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

The run was hard, as the coop is at the top of a steep incline (you can see how the land falls away outside the fence in this next picture), so it was a pain finding ways to keep the ladder steady. Its an odd shape, but is about 100 square feet, with 1/2" hardware cloth all around, and buried round the edges, and over the top as well - we have hawks here.

And here are a couple of pics of the inhabitants: all 6 yesterday diving into their plate of kefir, oat flakes, and clover sprouts:

[​IMG]

And the lord of the manor - Jan von Werth - at the entrance to his "castle"

[​IMG]

I'm pretty proud of myself, as I had never built anything more complicated than a bookshelf before.

Thanks for all the good ideas I got here!

2. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    You did an absolutely beautiful job with this!!! Congratulations.

What a wonderful feeling to do something like this for yourself.

Do you have any photos of the nesting boxes?

[​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    WOW! Looks really top notch for your chooks! I bet they are loving the place. I love the two story thing. It looks bigger than my apartment in Japan, actually [​IMG]

Great idea with the removable plexiglass windows, too.

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I'm so impressed with the coop and run. They look like Fort Knox.... The chickens certainly look as though they're enjoying their new environment. You've really done a beautiful job. Everything looks just perfect ~ the hardware cloth, the cement footing for the posts, everything.
    I love the look of the coop.

I'm glad to hear that you're husband is feeling better. [​IMG]

Carla

5. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    You did a real Nice Job indeed!!
    I like seeing everyone's design's. They show alot of Creativity and Pride.

6. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Nice job!
    I love that clay pottery. That would look great in my run, may I ask were you found it?
    [​IMG] Joe

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    love the swivel feeder arms idea, too. Beautiful work, OR chick!

8. ORChick

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks; yes, I am feeling pretty good about it. This is much better than the nervous breakdown I had first thought about [​IMG]. I'll take a picture from the inside of the nesting boxes later today. I hope the girls will know what they are for - they are 17 weeks old now.

9. ORChick

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Quote:I got it from one of the more obscure gardening catologues - sorry, I don't remember the name anymore. But I have seen it since in "Gardeners' Supply" from Vermont. They are calling them "chipmunk waterers" I think, but are apparently based on a tradional chicken waterer of Portugal. I saw it just after (a day or two) I was telling DH that I wished someone would make a ceramic waterer (hint, hint - DH works with clay [​IMG]) because I wanted to use ACV, but don't like plastic. Good thing too, as DH is a sculptor, not a potter, and the chicks would have got veeeery thirsty waiting for him [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You did such a marvelous job! Everything is well thought out and very special.
    I love the water crock and the swing out arms and the windows. The entire thing was super great therapy for you and I could never do so well myself! I think the chickens are just great therapy. Good luck to you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by