My coop plan for the physically challenged, did I forget anything?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I finally sat down and put my coop plans on paper. I am trying to make a coop that is easy for me to take care of, provides a wonderful place for the chickens to live, is safe, secure and comfortable and looks really cute. I am in my 50's with some arthritis and would like a coop set up so I can manage on my own. Things that weren't a problem 10 years ago, suddenly seem to be an obstacle, so I want to eliminate them. These plans don't show all the details as I don't know how to draw blueprints. If you have any questions, I can explain them better than I draw them.

Here is the basic floor plan. It is hard to tell on here, but the perches will be above the nest boxes and the built in brooder.

[​IMG]

This is the side elevation that will face the side walk. The bottom under the coop will be closed in by doors, so I can clean under there or store stuff under there.

[​IMG]

This is both ends. I do hope I have thought of everything I can to make this my perfect coop.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think or what I should change. The coop will be about 30" off the ground, the walls will be 4' high with a peaked roof. There will be ventilation along the top of all 4 sides with doors and a window to open in the nice weather. There will be 4 perches for a total of 32' for perch space. The built in brooder will be open to them when not in use. All windows will have hardwire cloth screens. The nest box will be on the wall in the run to keep any predators from getting any ideas about egg stealing. There will be a forage table in the coop, but the rest of the food will be in the run, along with the water.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    [​IMG] Looks great! I like the brooder in the coop!

3. Wise Woman

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks. Seems to me that is the perfect place to have it. The living room doesn't really work out so well. LOL!!!

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Good design!

[​IMG]

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Looks great! I wish I had thought to build my coop BEFORE getting my chicks and build the brooder in it. That would have worked out a lot better than the room they are in. [​IMG] I can't wait to see it when you start building! I love watching these progress! [​IMG]

6. Wise Woman

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks. I don't know if I am keeping the forage bench in there at this point or not. I have the forage bowls out in the run and I don't know if I want food in the coop. So either way, I can decide later. I have had chickens in my house too many times now, so I want a brooder out in the coop. Plus the big girls can see, hear and watch the little girls as they grow and I am hoping that combining them will be easier this way. I don't do huge numbers of chickens, so this set up should be adequate for the few I do. I am trying to think of all the things I would change with my current coop and how I can make feeding and cleaning quicker and easier. I might put all the perches over on the pop door side and just put the forage bench over by the nest boxes. There are a couple things I won't make a final decision on until the coop is well underway and I can physically see how it will all work out.

7. Annie's Backyard Flock

Annie's Backyard Flock Out Of The Brooder

I, too, have had to design a coop for the physically challenged. I decided to search BYC for feeders I could construct that would keep me from having to fill often. I decided on the PVC pipe design that will allow me to fill it up for a few days. I also am working on the waterer. I ordered "chicken nipples" that I'm attaching to PVC pipe and hooking it up to a gravity/rain collection system. I can not carry a lot of weight so I need to make the feeding/watering system easier. I also acquired an automatic pop-door opener for the mornings I can not get out of bed first thing in the morning. I decided to put perches on only 1 wall to keep the poop board cleanup easier. I am also using plastic bins in the nesting bins for easier clean-up (I can't stay out in the heat to clean. I have to bring things indoors to keep body temp correct.) Will love to see photos when complete.

8. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Your design looks very good! I am very interested in this as I have some on-going back pain so I am very interested in finding a design that is back friendly! How many chickens do you plan to have in it?

9. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Quote:LOL... I waited for over a year to get a coop built and it never happened. So I decided that buying the chicks would GUARENTEE that something would finally get started and eventually finished... hehehe... I've been doing most the work myself. But when we thought 'chicken coop' I thought of all the walls and what not and I didn't think I could do it so was waiting on help. I did have to get help to put in the framing for the floor and wall in our hen room and to knock out the chicken door in the cement, but everything else is done by me and I suppose that is why nothing is very perfect. I'm new to power tools... LMBO

10. Wise Woman

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I am going to move all the perches to one side so I only have to clean up one side. Great idea Annie's Backyard Flock. I may eventually go to automatic waterers, but for now I will be happy with the yard hydrant in the run. Beats lugging water. I will have a heater for the water so it doesn't freeze in the winter. I also have an electric kettle so I can always bring that out full of boiling water to warm their water up as well. Filling the feeder doesn't bother me at this point. My husband usually carries the bags in and puts them in the storage cans for me. If not, my daughter and I can manage it together.

I am considering an automatic door as well, but that can be down the road. I too have those mornings when getting out of bed is difficult, but I have to be at work each day, so I have no choice. Again, my daughter helps me when I have a bad day. I am trying to stay as active as possible and caring for the chickens, goats, dogs and gardens gives me lots to do along with working and playing my harp. I too will be using dishpans in the nest boxes. I am going to be so excited to not have to schlep through 3 ft of snow in the goat pen just to get to the chickens.

I am not sure how many chickens I will be keeping in here. I currently have 7 old girls and 7 new girls. The coop isn't huge, but they will have the 6 by 17 ft covered run and a 24 by 32 ft uncovered run. I have noticed that my current chickens go outside most days and only really stay in during storms and are usually only in the coop to sleep and lay an egg. The covered run will have their food, water, a forage station and those hanging ball things for cabbages as well as some perches. I think it will be a nice space. There will be sand in the run and either sand or pine shavings in the coop. I am looking forward to getting started on my perfect coop!

Jinxschuh, good luck with your coop. I have been waiting since 2005 to get my new one. I know how you feel. For our first coop, I too had to get the chickens so that my husband would get moving on the coop. He acted like I asked him to build me a 3000 sq ft house with one arm tied behind his back. If he doesn't cooperate this time, I am going to hire one of the guys at my work to help me I think. I have to see what he would charge, but he would probably have it done in a couple of weekends vs all summer, if my husband does it. It would probably be cheaper than marriage counseling as well.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by