My coop plan...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fhdogs, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fhdogs

fhdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Here's how I plan to build my coop...
    [​IMG]

The entire building is 10x20ft although it will be split in half inside. The right side is for my pot-belly pig (sweet pea) and the left for chicks. I'm not so great in drawing on the computer, but the whole building will be on a slightly sloped piece of land. The front end will actually be a little over 2ft off the ground. The back just about in contact. This way piggy's door can be on the back and she doesn't needs a ramp or steps, and the chicks will have a room to lay under in the shade.

This year I'm only doing hens, so the interior of the coop will be mostly open. I may mix things up in the future, so I'm planning to include enough support to add pens later on.

The roof on the back side will extend all the way to the fence, and I'll most likely use netting to cover the rest of the run area. (I have a local hawk that likes to show himself when I walk our small dogs. Also the fencing that divides the pig pen and chicken run will either have slats in the links, or be wood so the piggy doesn't get excited and charge at the chicks.

Obviously I didn't draw in gates on the fence which will completely surround the building by about 6 feet, and other things, but I just don't have the patience. Also the roof will actually be metal to match my house, and to incorporate a rainwater harvesting system with a 100 gal. tank. Hopefully that will reduce how often I need to run a hose all the way out to the coop.

Since I'd like the option to easily play around with layouts this year I don't plan to insulate until the late fall. At that point I'll add plywood interior walls and fill them with shredded paper insulation. Which will be completely contained, but still pretty harmless (I assume) is the chicks find a way to get at it.

Interior drawings will be next, and hopefully I'll have all the materials gathered to begin work on 4/14 (the day my building permit is valid).

I'm planning for maybe 12-15 layers this year, so space shouldn't be an issue.

Any special tips? Or ideas I should keep in mind?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. fhdogs

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Thanks Ridgerunner I actually got many ideas from that.

I do actually have one question that brought back up...

Because the pig is so strong, only chainlink will keep her contained. How do you all feel about chain link, with a layer of chicken wire attached to the lower few feet in the run? This way they can't stick their heads through, and it's strong enough to keep predators out.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That will work jut make sure you bring it down and under the fenceand out away from the fence about 2 - 3 feet. Then secure it to the ground with landscape staples or stakes. The will help stop the diggers. [​IMG]

You look at my Eggtopia page on the link below my signature...you will see the wire beign brought down and out around the coop itself.

5. fhdogs

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    That's great. Exactly what I needed to see to re-enforce the idea.

This site is great for ideas. The only problem of course is the cost of the coop keeps going up. Thankfully there are several places where second hand materials are available locally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by