1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my coop progress thread

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by showbarnmom, Dec 25, 2012.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Turned an old deer blind into their coop. Was going to paint today, but we are having 30 MPH wind gust :(. Oh well. Next week project. So here is our start! Plan is for this to house 6-8 chickens. Think its big enough?:)
    [​IMG]

2. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it'll turn out great [​IMG] Looks like it'll be plenty of room for 6-8 chickens.

3. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Phase two!
    [​IMG]

4. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I don't know why the pics are so small :(

5. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't worry about it, we can click on them and they're bigger :) and that run looks like there'll be plenty of room for the chickens.

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Oh OK, good! I'm very excited :) this week, provided the wind dies down, I will get to paint!

7. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Painting!!!! Yay me! All that is left to do before it is live able is the wire. That's coming in tomorrow :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Looks great! Nice accompanying run. I think the size of the coop really needs to depend on how much time they spend in it. I live in the valley floor in northwest Oregon. My girls are able to free range from sun up to sun down. Their coop would be way to small for them if they had to spend really cold days kept inside it - but they don't, they run around all day, every day and just sleep or lay inside. So I would say if your girls are outside in the daytime (when not laying) they should be just fine. Nice work!

9. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I can't completely go free range, prey drive dogs :(. So they will be in the run during the day and in the coop at night. Coop size is 4 ft wide and about 5 ft tall. And about 3 ft deep.

10. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    I think the typical numbers are 4 sq ft of house & 10 sq ft of run. If the hens have access to the run and you live where weather won't keep them in, you can go with a smaller house. We built our first coop last summer, we built for 6 hens and have 4. Ours only sleep in the house and 4sq ft is way more them we needed, while the 10 sq ft of run seems small when we don't let them free range. Looks great!! Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by