My coop! Show me your's.. Also, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SizzleQueen, Mar 29, 2015.

1. SizzleQueen

SizzleQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Hey guys! So I just wanted to show you my chicken coop.. and get some opinions. I want this thread to be a friendly one, and I want everyone to show their coops and their happy chickens in it! If you guys see anything you think could possibly make the flock happier.. by all means, POINT IT OUT!

So, here I have a list of question im curious about regarding what I should do for my coop.

1. See how they are perched on there "night" board? Well I have another thin board beneath it, and a board on the window so they hope right up to it just fine.. but the trick is getting down. I have a metal sheet near the door entrance.. that they use as a landing pad. I have been STRONGLY considering getting floor put in my coop.. just means more cleaning... (Which is ugh always) So do you guys thing I should get floors put in? Right now there is chicken wire, and goat horse/goat fencing beneath it. (walking is not a issue for them, and the poop falls right to the ground. The chicken coop itself is lifted about 3 feet from the ground.)

-----------------------------------------------

Here are pics of my coop. It's a work in progress.. maybe one day, ill paint it and make it look really nice! [​IMG]

Outside view of the coop! Two door trio happening.. "Screen" door for the warm cozy nights.. but keep those nasty pest away from my beaked angels.
    [​IMG]

Inside of coop, section #1. So this is the first section of the coop! Where my main flock spends most of their time.. Here you can see I use crates I get from michaels.. they are nailed into two boards for extra strength.. + two older crates I just happen to have! A metal food feeder.. and UGH it's such a mess saver...

[​IMG]

Heat lamp/ "bed"! ... Happy chickens getting ready for the night.. kinda chilly tonight, so the lamp is on and the roo made sure he was the closet to it.. (he always does..)

[​IMG]

So this is a window right? WRONG! It's my door ;) hahaha.
    [​IMG]

So .. this is my brilliant idea I had instead of cutting a coop door into my coop.. instead, I just use some old plants and the window. They love it, and I love how high up it is.. Keeps the freaks out. ;) At night, I just slide the board down and close up the window!

[​IMG]

Okay so this is just another view.. Gives you a better idea of the size.

[​IMG]

Inside looking out.

[​IMG]

The "channel" room. My Cochin girls love to stay to themselves as high as they can be in section number 2 of the coop.. They pretty much have claimed this room from the flock. Personally, I think it's adorable! See how messy the plastic feeders are? UGH. Need to get a metal one for this room too!

[​IMG]

Okay, so this is my "quarantine" section of the coop, or section #3. You can't see it but there is a wooden "fence" build on the other side toward the bottom (see in picture above) so the chicken to not come into contact with one another for 30 or until they are ready to be introduced.
    [​IMG]

WELL that about wraps it up for this coop! There is a section 4 but it is completely empty, and not currently used atm. Probably will be when the flock is expanded in the future months/years to come. Let me know what you guys think, or see, ect.

Thank you so much for looking,
    Brooke.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Very nice setup. The screen floor provides excellent ventilation. All droppings fall outside. Do chickens hurt their feet in the screen??? Is it a balancing act when you have to walk into those areas and walk only on the joists??? Are snakes present in your area and can they get thru the screen???
    The size of this coop looks like it could accommodate 100 + chickens at least. How many do you have currently??? You have something that very many of us here on the forum are not able to have, mainly due to size, Chicken number restrictions, and many other factors unique to each.
    [​IMG]

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    very nice setup! love the looks of it.

how high is the feeder hanging? try setting it where the bottom is about breast high on the chicks, they don't tend to rake quite as much out that way.

4. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Agree, raise up your feeders and they won't spill even half as much. Otherwise awesome!! I couldn't have my floors like that but it's a great idea. I want it under my dinning table! My kids are such messy waters

1 person likes this.
  5. SizzleQueen

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    The floors aren't a balancing act at all. It is strung tight and their feet never get caught! Snakes rarely get in, i have two strands of electric fence wrapped around the bottom of the coop and that keeps them away. Last year i had one snake get in but that's because I forgot to turn the fence back on. Killed him though for killing one of mine.

At first it was a littlr difficult with balancing for me, walking on the wood.. but the fencing is strung so tight i actually am able to walk on the entire floor. I dont, just because it is less stress on the flooring, but now it's a breeze and i can practically run if i wanted. Lol.

Right now I have about 27 chickens some of which are pullets and growing! So they are kept inside. Im hoping to grow my flock throughout the summer.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. SizzleQueen

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    LOL. Yes the floors tend to make people question the comfort or how easy it is for them to maneuver but it didn't bother them at all.. generally the smaller chickens will walk on the support beams, but once they got use to it, they walk on the wiring just fine.

7. SizzleQueen

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA

Yes great idea. Ive been meaning too.its also just because the feeder is so shallow too. But raising it will help im sure. Thank you! [​IMG]

8. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland

My concern is more rats and snakes, I live in Australia so snakes are pretty big risk,

9. SizzleQueen

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Yes some people have expressed that concern, and actually as long as I keep the bottom string of electric on, snakes won't crawl over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by