My coop so far, part 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Theicequeen, May 25, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=332047&p=1 here is the link to my first thread with the beginning progress of our coop. Shortly after that one sat everything just about stopped, the weather would not cooperate and it was always raining, or we had somewhere to go on the weekend and could not get to it. Last week we were able to get more done and i am hoping that this weekend it will get FINISHED!!!!!!!!! As much as i love my girls, and i will be a worried mess when they are outside , vulnerable, and i am not there to know what is going on every minute of every day, they need to go out cause they are driving me insane with the dust,lol.

our coop is off the ground about two feet. The first pic is the windows, we still are making windows for it, to shut in bad weather. The chicken wire is on the inside being held in with 1 inch deep staples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a pic of the inside, right as you go in the door are the roosts.

[​IMG]

This is the door with the chicken door in it. It is small because we decided to use a dog pen as the run for the time being with the hopes of making a better , and bigger run next year.

[​IMG]

This is the chicken door, it has two spring , latch hooks in it, but i am going to get a slide lock, like i have up higher, to keep the door closed better cause it pops out a little.

[​IMG]

Slide lock up top to lock the door at night, i will get one like this for the bottom of the chicken door.

[​IMG]

These are pics of the chicken wire used for the vents. This is put in with one inch staples , then we put a board over it and it is screwed in, the chicken wire also runs on top of the roof a few inches and is stapled into the beams, with one inch staples, then covered over with roofing paper and then something called 90, like big shingles, then it is mucked at the seems and nail holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nest boxes are going here, under the window

[​IMG]

The inside where the roosts are , i did put some primer sealer on the floor to protect it some, and i put it on the roosts too.

[​IMG]

here is a pic of the board over the chicken wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a hook that i will put the latch on to hold the door open during the day for my girls

[​IMG]

stuff that still needs to be done is the nest boxes, the windows, the ramp to go in and out and the run. For the run we are using a chain link dog run that is 10 x 10, we will run hardware cloth two feet up from the ground and up, then two feet under ground, i will have it come out and away from the run two feet, and it will go a few inches under the ground and will be covered with the dirt. The hardware cloth will run around the pen itself and also around the coop, so that the girls can go underneath the coop for shade if they need to or to get out of the rain. As for the top my husband wants to run chicken wire across the top.

Any suggestions as to something i am not doing, or i should do?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    looks good...my only suggestion, is where you have chicken wire over the windows...maybe change to something heavier. where I live the racoons use chicken wire for tooth picks. I use "1/2" rabbit wire" for any openings that will be exposed to wildlife. Even my screened windows have rabbit wire behind the screen. I did use chicken wire for the vents in the soffits of my guinea house...to small for predator to fit...I hope...

Other than that...I like it!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I would 2nd bfrancis' suggestion. I just posted yesterday about a lady down the road whose 8 hens and rooster were slaughterd by a raccoon who had no problems tearing through her chicken wire pen... You could be lucky and never have an issue, or you could be one of the unlucky ones.

Your coop looks nice though!

4. Theicequeen

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    Thank you, and thank you for the suggestions. I have a question about the windows, can a racoon get to them, they are way up in the coop the only way a racoon would be able to get to them is to hang over the roof, maybe? I will get something better for the windows. Can racoons climb, i have the dog pen, which is chain link, and i was just going to put chicken wire over the top, will this be ok?

Thank you i cant wait to get them in it but gosh i am going to be so worried about something happening.

5. Theicequeen

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    i have a question about sand, i want to have some specificly for them to dust and/or eat but i dont want to just put it in the run to be scattered all over the place so i was thinking about getting a kiddie pool ,drilling holes in the bottom to drain any waterand filling it with sand. any thoughts?

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Yes, raccoons absolutely can climb and they are stronger than you might imagine. Chicken wire does not keep predators out; it only keeps chickens in. I would replace the chicken wire with 1/2 X 1/2 hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by