1. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    I have 204 sq ft of run and 48 sq ft sleeping roost. for 15 hens and 1 rooster. is this large enough for them,

2. L and M Farms

L and M Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    I have read an been told that you need to allow 4sqft per bird in your coop and 10 sqft per bird in the run area. That being said it could be less of an issue to have a lot of space per bird in the run are if you free range enough. I have a 10x12 coop and 30x15 run but I have 25 birds that are not full grown. My birds do get alittle grouchy if they don't get to free range a few times a week.

3. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    dont free range at this time. do you clip your birds wings. we only have a 5 ft fence around the yard.so I worry they will go visit the neighbors. by the sound of your coop size I may need to increase the coop but the run is the right space..

4. L and M Farms

L and M Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    No I don't clip my birds wings because they naturally know to fly short distances to get away from predators I kept mine in the run for 2 weeks long enough for them to get to understand that the coop was home an safe now they all naturally go in the coop when its starts to get dusk. And my rooster seems to help with watching for predators an alarming the hens when danger is around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by