1. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    here are some pix of the shed i'll be using. the third one faces south.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    theres a quick and easy way to get the job done! can't wait to see it with its new inhabitants!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Dressed up it will be GRRRREEEAAAAT!. Chickens are hardy, but a door facing the north wind needs to be addressed...have a door that seals good, you might consider framing in a narrow door. I would insulate the walls with sheets of insulation covered on the inside by 1/4 plywood or paneling....so you keep the birds from pecking on the insulate....don't forget the roof insulation....Don't forget to vent it well and I mean well....round wind turbine and side vents screened.
    Again the rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per bird for the coop and if your shed is 8' x8' = 64 sq. ft. means you could have 16 birds in the Coop....now the pen needs to be bigger...160 sq. ft. (8' x 20') But I feel those numbers are generous....I would start off with 6-9 birds, learning as you go. Also being that close to neighbors I wouldn't advise owning a rooster, even if they get an egg or two.
    Having the shed puts you ahead money wise....look around and see what you can get for nothing....Enjoy
    HappyHatch'en

4. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    it's only 7.5 by 4.5 feet, and the door faces east.
    how big do the vents have to be?

5. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    High vents across from each other, perhaps 10' x 36" on opposite walls + a roof vent....in the summer heat in a metal building the chickens won't want to sleep in an oven on hot days....I don't know your landscape around the house for shade ( chickens love the shade) or where you are located. I do realize you are not in my town because I don't have any snow....LOL...I would also find a window for the birds to look out of and you to look at them....like watching TV with out the dish. a 5 x 8 Coop will take 10 birds max....so you still can get by with 6 birds easily. It will make your pen smaller too, 6 x 10....Which makes a very nice Coop/Pen size to raise birds.
    Welcome BYC......where everyone starts out being the egg!!!
    HappyHatch'en

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's a very nice building [​IMG]

I bet you will have a lot of fun when you start your project [​IMG]

7. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    from where i took the third pic, i was standing beside a 50 or so old maple tree. i was planning a run about 1 1/2 times bigger than the shed.

First, i will be putting vents in, then a lot of studs on the inside. i will fill it with some type of insulation, and then covering it with some kind of board. In the front i will use plywood and cut a door out and a chicken door out of that door. Where the umbrella and red wheelbarrow are i am planning to have 2 nest boxes. on the opposite side, roosting bars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by