My Coop Update...Lots of Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BettyR, May 14, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We have been working on this coop since the end of February. It is taking so long because none of us is a carpenter and we are making this up as we go; we have to discuss and agree on every detail before we do it and several times we have had to take things apart and redo it.

This is our base:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are our walls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rafters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof:

[​IMG]

Sky Lights:

[​IMG]

The walls: It’s a rainy day so we covered the front with a tarp to keep rain out.

[​IMG]

Shot of the coop from the back porch swing:

[​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Nice so far......but why such a large overhang on each side? Are they going to be used for storage or something? Can't wait to see it finished.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Great! Are you doing runs under the overhangs?

4. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    WOW! That's great so far! Are the runs going to be under the roofed area?

That is awesome...good job!

Tanya

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

VERY nice. And I must add that the brindle dog in one of your pics is beautiful, too. I'm a sucker for a brindle coat!

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    That's a nice, big coop! I can't wait to see the finished product. Construction can be a slow process sometimes. I especially like the skylights.

Thanks for sharing!

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The large overhangs were DH’s idea. He plans to use the rafters of the overhangs for storage and they are also there to keep the rain out of the open windows. And have a dry place outside for some feed and water.

Our climate is sub-tropical; we get a lot of rain but it is also hot. We need to be able to leave the windows open so there will be plenty of airflow through but we don’t want it raining into the coop.

The windows are going to be covered with hardware cloth but they will also have solid shutters that can be closed in the winter and in case of a hurricane. We attached each joist and rafter with hurricane clips and cemented the posts into the ground.

Edited to add: We are going to fence in that whole area there on that side of the pond for the chickens.

Quote:That's my baby Cricket. She's an American Mastiff, she weighs about 150 pounds but she thinks she's a 15 pound lap dog.

[​IMG]

This is Cricket Christmas morning...Mama gave her one of those extra large rawhide bones thinking it would last her the rest of the day; Cricket chewed it up like it was bubble gum in just a few minutes. You can tell by the look on her face she thinks she's in trouble.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  8. NickyNawlins

NickyNawlins Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Louisiana
    The coop design looks great. I live in lower Louisiana and my husband's design is similiar to ya'lls but I didnt think about how far out to put our roof to keep the rain out. So thanks for the idea.

9. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Betty,

The hen house is wonderful! [​IMG] You and your son have done a fabulous job of 'stumbling around in the dark' [​IMG]. I love the wide overhang... it will give the birds a lot of protection from the rain.
    It's a great design, and a *lot* of work.
    Like you, I'll be putting hardware cloth on the windows because we have hot, but dry, summers here in southern California. Because of the snakes in your neck of the woods, you may want to put on 1/2" hardware cloth. This will help keep out all but the smallest snakes. And if they're unlucky enough to enter the coop, the hens will probably eat them! [​IMG]
    Please post more photos as you get farther along.

Terrific job! Give yourselves some pats on the back.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I like it a lot. Love the broad overhands...gives dry storage areas, shade for the chickens and keeps the rain out. Excellent design. Hurricane clips....are you in Florida?

I am a native Floridian so I know all about that nonsense. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by