1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my coop withstood a microburst!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by slystr, Apr 13, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    We just had a nasty storm her ein Dallas and we had a microburst with winds reaching 80 miles an hour an d mycoop didnt fly away like I thought it would. The interior of the coop stayed dry too! ANd the chicks went into the tarped part of the tractor!!! Now to see how quickly the tractor dries out....

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Slyster......I was watching all that bad weather out there, you all got it bad!! UGH!! Im so glad your coop made it through! Congrats on the carpentry!

3. samara

samara Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    slyster,

Did you have the coop tied down? We got hail here in Fort Worth, did you see any in Dallas?

That's great to hear about your coop staying put, we are a little elevated here on our property and have had high winds, and that is making me think that modifying my shed might be better than the portable chicken tractor I was planning on. If only I could get hubby to build me a henspa!!

Samara

4. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I didn't have teh thing tied down! I had the dog stake outs in the ground but I had not bought any chains. We didn't get any hail but we did get a burst of air that was supposedly 75 mph.

5. samara

samara Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    wow!

6. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

In Lancaster, we got marble sized hail for about 5 minutes, high winds, and horizontal rain afterwards. My girls were snug in their tractor, but I had moved it under a low-hanging cedar tree for a little extra protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by