1. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    After months of planning and waiting for the 100* temps to drop, to begin construction, I finally got my coop up. WooHoo!!!! I moved my 4 week old chicks out there last week. Excited as I was, I had a neighbor come over and call it an eye sore. [​IMG] Luckily for me she has spent the last 2 years living elsewhere and they are putting their house on the market this week. My coop is 6x8 with a 6 ft tall fence stretching 24 feet behind the coop. This neighbor's lot backs up to our coop. There is a wooded buffer between us but since it is winter, all the trees have lost leaves and she could see the coop. I would like to add some more plants to buffer. I would like to know what you guys think of the coop. With some evergreens, you guys think I can lessen the view a little? Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i think your neighbor is crazy!!!! that is by far an eyesore. it looks like a shed, so i would tell he to shove it [​IMG]

3. bumblebee 99

bumblebee 99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I love it!!!! It is the most simple, cutest coop I've ever seen! But, just one thing, are there any ventilation windows anywhere?
    I think your x-neighbor is just a brat! And evergreens sound like a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well it's definitely not an eye-sore!! Some fast growing white pines or something along those lines planted along the boundary line would be a good buffer though, if that neighbor is going to be so picky. I'm not seeing any ventilation though, are you adding it or is it on the other walls?? If you guys deal with 100 degree summer months, you'll definitely need a LOT of screened ventilation...window sized openings would be good.

5. WaterAye

WaterAye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    String it with Christmas lights and tell the neighbor to have a happy holiday. Haters gonna hate.

6. bumblebee 99

bumblebee 99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    x2 100%
    Quote:

7. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    This is the side view. This is what the neighbor actually sees. I am in the process of painting the fence the same color as the trim on the house. The windows are the same on the other side and they do open. Currently, because I have a heat lamp in the coop, I have black plastic over the windows to lessen the glow at night that I remove during the day for light. The chicks are allowed in the fenced in area via a pop door. Also, there is wire cloth between each of the eaves for ventilation.

[​IMG]

8. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i cant even type on here what you should tell the neighbor!!!!...............all that cute coop needs is chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    There there now. Your neighbor is doing her best to help. She just named your coop for ya. "Eye Sore". That's a good name even you did a great job. What a gracious lady she is. You should call her that thank her for that and let her know you named it for here. And at the same time you can let her know her new name too. Old Bitty. It look good to me.

If she thinks that's an eye sore, she should see some of the stuff around where I live. Some folks are just so above everyone else.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yay...lots of ventilation then (you'll want to add hardware cloth "screens" when it becomes window-opening time). Plain and simply, your neighbors are nimcomepoops [​IMG] So does the wooden fence run all the way around your run back there??? They won't even be able to see the chickens??? They are just lookin to b-gripe-tch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by