My coop

Shelbyrose17

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015
I made my coop from scratch. I had gotten an old one from a friend but it was falling apart and rotted out so I started on the build of my own. I cost a little more than I had anticipated but I think it turned out pretty good.
e
This is the frame. The tall side is 6' and the short side is 5'. It is 4' wide and 12' long. This part went up in about 3 hours.

Next was the roof. This took about 1.5 hours it's not too big but I had no clue what I was doing and the measurements were off.

Added the door! It has two of those locks on the left now. That one on top and another on the bottom. I'm not quite sure on the size of the door I can fit through so that's all that matters.
tongue2.gif

This is it done. We added chicken wire (we'll see how long it lasts and the durability). Enclosed the coop, we used this outdoor material, not quite sure what it is but it is able to be painted which is what I wanted. I think I might wait until next spring to paint, when I have the money for the improvements. The door is for me so I will be able to do maintenance easier. There is also a hole in the bottom so the ladies can get down, with a ramp too. On the other side there is a window that can be opened and shut and locked if need be.

Question I still have:
Is this big enough for 8 chickens?
Should I make a latch for the bottom hole in the coop since its wide open right now 24/7?
What are your opinions and thoughts for my coop. I love hearing what peoples views and thoughts are!

Last edited:
Nice coop! How many square feet is the enclosed section? In general, you want each chicken to have two square feet of indoor space, plus about eight inches of roost space and as much outdoor room as possible. Your enclosed section looks a little small, but it could still work, since the chickens would have the run portion to spend much of their time in.

Nice coop! How many square feet is the enclosed section? In general, you want each chicken to have two square feet of indoor space, plus about eight inches of roost space and as much outdoor room as possible. Your enclosed section looks a little small, but it could still work, since the chickens would have the run portion to spend much of their time in.
x2 Good looking coop
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom