My Coops on a Budget!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karaokechick, Nov 10, 2010.

1. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    First and FOREMOST I want to let you know that My DH & I know NOTHING about construction, I work as an entertainer, and he is a marine mechanic, but we both have some common sense we hoped would get us through this!

For our first coop I copied the design from a picture I found when googling chicken coops.
    It's a Simple Hoop Coop
    It's made from 3 Cattle panels (We used an old boat trailer to get these the 50+ miles home)
    (6) 2x10's from an old dock
    welded garden wire
    and poultry fencing the small hex size.
    A tarp
    roll of hardware wire for the exterior bottom to stop burrowing.
    three bags of quickcrete we dry poured over the hardware wire.
    (2) 2x4's for the door
    LOTS of Zip ties!!

This coop does not have a support post down the center, but it withstood a fairly large bear for SWFL on the top bouncing to collapse it. You can see the buckle in the middle from his weight, but it held!! We have had Panthers attack too, but nothing has gotten in as of yet. (knock on wood)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new coop, so far I spent $275.00 at Lowes using the 10% off coupons found in the change of address packages found at your post office that includes two rolls of redbrand welded wire fence.

We used treated landscape timbers for posts since they only cost $2.00 each and pressure treated 2x4's at $2.00 The front 2x10's were recycled from an old dock.

Not having a clue as to how to get started, I staked out a 20ft square...ok not perfectly square...I didn't know how to do that. Then I marked where my posts would be. I wanted 5 pens that were 8ft by 4ft and a walkway down the center. Then my son and I started digging post holes... not so easy. Our property is a thin layer of soil over solid Rock (thus our farm name Rock Bottom Farm) since not many posts could actually get more than 6-12 inches in the ground we decided to hold them level and attatch a bottom board to get our 20x20 square. We got them all attached to the bottom boards up and down the sloping rock, and then poured the concrete in the holes.
    Next we did the tops of the posts at the height of our shortest post. Finally we are ready for welded wire, walls and roof and hardware cloth to stop burrowing in the few sections not on solid rock.

So here is where were at....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Looks good so far. Thought I saw chicken wire on the sides, but then I see what looks like 2x4 welded wire also. Between those two, you should be pretty good. Good job repelling a bear!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Love the pic with DH (I assume) in it -- looks like he's saying, what do I know???

Wonderful Florida coop, for sure.

4. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    That's my baby boy! LOL

Makes me laugh but yet it makes me feel young again! [​IMG]

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    AMAZING. I wish i could make something like that.

6. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Looking Great [​IMG]....I can't wait to watch it progress and see finished coop!

7. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Thank You Everyone.. I know we still have alot ahead of us, but It's keeping me occupied while I wait for my eggs in the incubator to hatch! [​IMG]

DH decided tonight that we aren't going with the wire fencing roof w/a heavy duty tarp he wants corregated plastic or metal. I'm sure this addition with the extra support will break the bank! Plus I'm not sure the corregated will hold if a bear or panter get on top like the welded wire fencing will. hmmmm.....

Then The cost of the wood for nest boxes I forgot about...wooo .....not so much a budget coop anymore.

8. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Ohh and I forgot to add The Hoop Coop kept a decent size snake out. Well Half way. It got stuck in the fencing holes!

9. poconoadoptionfamily

poconoadoptionfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Hawley
    Great Job! [​IMG]

10. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    AWESOME!!! [​IMG] love it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by