My copper black Marans are close to laying - I think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madformarans, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Madformarans

Madformarans Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    I have 3 copper black maran pullets that are 23 weeks old. Their combs have started to grow and I ave checked the gap between their pelvic bones, all 3 have a gap of 2 fingers. My question is how long is it until I should get eggs? Do their combs have to fully develop first? I also have 2 buff Orpington pullets and they only have a pelvic bone gap of 1 finger but they re a coupe of weeks younger than the marans. I feel like an expectant father!!!!:):)

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hello! I want to say they are 18-24 weeks mature. My BCMs are just 8 weeks, so no help there ;)

But I am curious, are you giving them supplemental light? Because if they aren't getting at least 12hrs of light, followed by 12hrs of dark, they probably won't lay. I know where I live, we only get about 8.5 hours of natural light right now. You would need a timer to set it to go on in the mornings a couple hours before dawn. :)

3. birdbrain99

birdbrain99 New Egg

Jan 9, 2014
    When hens are ready to lay their combs will turn a deep, red.

4. Madformarans

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    I live in the south of England, about 30 mins outside London. My girls aren't lit and currently get about 8 hours of natural light. As there combes are not fully grown yet maybe it will be another month or so. I have 3 adult hens that are laying and have been since December, it has been mild here though. I am really pleased with the egg colour though, really dark brown.

5. Madformarans

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    Thank you, I probably won't get eggs until there combs are fully developed, so maybe I won't get eggs until end of February.

6. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they squat yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by