1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my cornish hens are featherless/feverish

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elainehughes, Mar 22, 2013.

1. elainehughes

elainehughes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2012
    Hudson, Florida
    Good morning everyone. Every since I bought these Cornish hens they have had problems with loosing their feathers and feeling feverish to my touch. Not knowing if this is normal. I treated them with the permethrin.10 two times in 3 months and recently treated my whole flocks and coops. Which it seemed to help a small bit. I have isolated the Cornish hens in their own cage inside my big coop with 23 mixed baby chicks and a rooster. My concern is if they have something I don't want it to infect my other chicks within the coop. I physically do not see mites but I did get a positive result after treating them. Where the feathers were, their skin was very red and irritated and feverish, but after treatment, their skin is lite pink and somewhat feverish.
    Please, can someone tell me what i can do? They look miserable. and i don't want other chick to get sick.
    looking forward to some feed back.
    Thanks. :]]

2. elainehughes

elainehughes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2012
    Hudson, Florida
    LOL I figured it out.... I think. I did not realize what a short lifeCornish Hens live. They are definately over the age of 42 days old. The other chicks were picking on them. I have separated them totally from other chickens. They are doing better now, as you can tell I am new to farm life, but I learn every day. I enjoy it alot. Thanks for the help. :]]

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    You know how when you touch your dog they feel warm, it is because they are warmer than we are. We run 98.6....at 100-101 degrees they feel warm to us...
    Well chickens run at 102-103...so...they are a lot warmer than we are...I would say they aren't feverish..anytime I handle a chicken I can't help but notice how much warmer they feel.
    Also are these Cornish Rocks? Or plain old Dark Cornish, or Red laced Cornish...there are cornish chickens with normal growth and healthy life spans. If you had cornish Rocks I think you would know...they are way way way bigger than other chicks of the same age. I have some right now that we got on the 6th that are as large as the last chicks I had at 8 weeks old...they are small barnyard mixes, but still...they were feathered and these are only a few weeks old...They are huge...They are easily as heavy as 3 of the other chicks I got at the same time...crazy growth...they also look spotty with the feathers because they grow so fast that their down isn't slowly replaced with feathers, they lose the down and then grow the feathers in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by