My Cornish Rocks Are Dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JerryO, Jun 28, 2008.

1. JerryO

JerryO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I've lost 3 just today and a total of 6 altogether. I called Welp's and they asked if I was pulling their food for 12 hours, which I am. They said it may be too hot for them, so I actually brought them into the house and put them in the air conditioning, so they looked at me and then huddled together after a few minutes like they were cold. I have them back in their coop now and they seem happy. Anyone have any suggestions???:|

2. ChinaChicks1

ChinaChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    NE Oklahoma
    how old are they? what is the temp there?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jerry we need to know more. Are they innoculated, were they in good shape on arrival? Pics?

Do you have electrolytes? Are they eating/defecating? Any blood or runny stools? Is feed medicated?
    Sugar water in a pinch...

I'm sure some experienced folks will be here soon...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. ChinaChicks1

ChinaChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    NE Oklahoma
    Just because i don't have that many posts..doesn't mean i'm not "experienced"..Jerry..I can help you if you give me some more information..[​IMG]

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    When they eat alot, their digestive system can over heat them. Ebay has some solar fans for about $26 that would help move the air and cool them off.

I've also frozen soda bottles of water and placed them around in their coop to help. Another thing would be to feed them at night when it's cooler instead of the day.

They also tend to get cocci easily, so make sure they don't have blood in their poo.

Make sure their coop is well shaded or move them out under a shade tree during the day. Make shift run should work fine if you don't have a lot of predators around.

Add electrolytes to their water so they don't get dehydrated.

I also would mist them down a few times a day with the hose on very fine mist. So they would fluff up their feathers and cool down.

If they are 7 weeks or older process them now.

Can't think of anything else right off hand. I lost 2 in one day to heat, very frustrating. But this stuff worked.

6. JerryO

Apr 15, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sorry I didn't get back here sooner, but I was exhausted. They are 4 weeks old, and no runny stools or blood. They are in constant shade. I will try the feeding at night instead of during the day, I've also put a fan on them. Today they seem fine, but I'm watching them to make sure they will be OK. Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to try the frozen bottles and see if that helps also. [​IMG]

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep us posted Jerry, Please. We know you folks in Florida are having a rough time with your chicks this year.

8. JerryO

Apr 15, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I just put them back in the coop, another thunderstorm is brewing, but before I did, they were misted twice and I turned on the sprinkler and they played in it. Also I'm restricting food until this evening. I'm trying everything that was suggested so far. Thankyou everyone!![​IMG]

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Jerry, are you planning to process them yourself or have you found someone to do it for you?

10. JerryO

Apr 15, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I have a friend that claims he can do it, but I don't know if he can. I know I have a little time to decide, but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by