My Cornish X Rock Cross is approaching 1 year old!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChixChic, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    SO, I have read that these birds dont live much past a year? (ugh) I love that big fat bowling ball!! She seems to be keeping right up with the rest of my flock, (Rhode Island Reds and Black Giants). She is heavier on her feet, but completely covers my 1.5 acres all day everyday, runs, (not quite as fast as she used to, but she can move!), and lays everyday. I free range, with one scoop of cracked corn a day. Should I be on the look-out for her doomsday? With summer soon approaching, should I worry about the heat? Any information is appreciated!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had a Cornish X, but have read on here of others keeping them well into adulthood. She'll probably suffer with the heat, but with shade and breeze (and obviously plenty of water) she may handle it just fine. I think her free ranging is the best thing you could do for a chicken with her genetics. If her range has some mud puddles to wade in, so much the better. I hope she makes it another year, and more!

1 person likes this.
  3. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I could be wrong but I think the reason "most" people say that is they are bred to put on the wieght and be at butcher size at 6 weeks of age. So, therefor.............. they don't live very long. Hope this answers your question.

4. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Well, we have plenty of shade for her, and no pond, but a creek that runs down the side of our property. She seems to do very well, so I assume that IF she wont live long, it will probably come on suddenly. She just happened to be the one that survived all this time...she's got spunk! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by