My cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farm Frenzy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I have three Cornish X, 2 males and one female. They are GREAT. I got them Feb 2 as babies from McMurray Hatchery. They are thriving and actually very pretty birds. My question is, is it possible for them to breed? I was just wondering.[​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    all the parts are there so there is a possibility...in actuallity...nope

edited to say you wold have to majorly restrict their diet to stunt their growth

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I had a flock of Cornish-Rock hens I managed to get eggs out of. But I never risked breeding them to a Cornish-Rock rooster since I was afraid they'd be crushed.

If you went with a rooster out of a different breed you could pull it off. The offspring won't look a whole lot like Cornish-Rocks. Your best bet would be to try a real breed that looks similar to them like the White Orpingtons or White Rocks.

4. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I Have two cornish x Hens I Breed to a RIR roo. I have some of the Babies they are similar to there mother And growing well they are bigger than the Brahma mixes I Hatched with them. Here are the pictures.[​IMG]mom[​IMG]Father[​IMG]oldest baby [​IMG]Oldest baby now at six weeks[​IMG]Oldest babies back[​IMG]Youngest babies now at three Weeks

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Well that's good to know, because in reality, they are the sweetest chickens I have.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Ya know years ago growing up our neighbors only got cornish each spring, they butchered the roosters and kept the hens for laying and had pretty good success.
    That being said, I don't know if the strain now is a much faster growing bird then they were back then.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes you can breed them. Males need a restricted diet though as they will get too heavy for the hens. The parent stock of these birds are identical to broilers but they are restricted with their feed intake and look much like a heavy white rock but much taller. If you do want to breed them put the rooster on a diet.

8. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Good, me and the boys can go on a diet together!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by