My cory cats are at it again, how long until they hatch?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My female cory cat is laying batches of eggs regularly now.
    We searched at walmart and the only close pet store and couldn't find a divider to seperate the eggs from the occupants of the tank.
    I finally made a divider out of a square of plastic canvas (used for yarn crafts) and suction cups. I picked the side of the tank that had the largest number of eggs to protect. The other eggs were gone the same night thanks to mama and the two male cory cats.
    How long until the little ones hatch? Anybody know?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Several days, like 4-5, but could be more or less depending on your water temperature.

Once they hatch they can still get eatn by the parents, it's just less likely. If you *really* want to raise baby corys -- and they are incredibly, incredibly cute [​IMG] -- I recommend removing the parents to another tank, if you have one already set up and run-in.

That said, I successfully bred panda corys on my office desk in years past with the parents still present, a variety of times -- but this was in a VERY HEAVILY planted tank, and still did not get splendid survival, usually like 3-6 babies surviving per spawn.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Pat. I have another tank, but it's not set up right now. I do have the tank heavily planted, so maybe I'll hope for the best. [​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's awesome! I think all of mine must be males. I have the albinos, my sis has the colored ones.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The only way I can tell the difference is that my female is twice the size of the males.

6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    The females tend to be wider and longer.. in most species. When the barometric pressure changes a great deal, you will likely see more breeding activities with your Cories. For instance, it's been raining for 2 days straight ..so all 3 of my Cory species were dancing and being goofballs, last night. And of the 100's of eggs that plaster all over the plants and glass and stuff, I may see one or two babies survive.

If you google "planet catfish" ..you will find a huge amount of info on all the species [​IMG]

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also use a 2 liter soda bottle, cut the bottom off and burn small hole in it to allow water to flow through. Sink cut end in the gravel.

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My cory cats eggs hatched in four days,and I had about 25 that survived.The were all over.I gave some to a friend who wanted some.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, if you look at them from above, the females are a little bit "wider through the hips" (if fish had hips [​IMG]) than the more kite-shaped males.

Another thing that often triggers them to spawn, at least for me, is to wait til things are auspicious (as Aneesa's Muse says, a big front coming through often helps) you do a big, like 50-60%, water change with cooler water. (Don't do this if you have delicate community tank things in with them). It used to work pretty well with my pandas.

Pat

10. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    pics please? where do you guys get them at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by