My coupe is about LARGE DOG HOUSE SIZE. 3 HENS.

sarahmanyeggs

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 13, 2013
Grandma
Not my first time, but these girls are new this winter. I have a red heat lamp, and am continually going out to make sure they are not too warm. The coupe is about 4'6" high, and .........maybe 4' wide. They have been sleeping on the top floor on rails, and now that the light is in there, I am afraid it may be too warm for them. (It's a red heat lamp) which was recommended at the supply store).

How large should the space be around the red heat lamp? I can't continue to go out and check on them every hour during the night!

I need a little sleep........... There are 3 full-grown hens... No babies, no rooster.

I have left the 'side window' door open so it will not be TOO HOT. (Is that a good idea?)

darn...... (sometimes you really do need a man, I guess.) ;)

Take out the heat lamp. They don't need it. You can actually hurt them by not letting them acclimate to the cold. They are wearing a natural down jacket.

Last edited:
Take out the heat lamp. They don't need it. You can actually hurt them by not letting them acclimate to the cold. They are wearing a natural down jacket.

Excellent advice. We don't heat our coop and all of our birds are just fine here all winter.

They aren't little babies, they don't need a heat lamp. Make a mental note to yourself not to put stock in the advice from that particular supply clerk. Incidentally, you don't need a man around. You will do quite well - believe in yourself. We are here for you- men and women 24/7.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

If the power goes out your girls are left in the cold when they aren't used to it. let them get used to the cold ,take out the light. they do better in cold than the hot days of summer.
Welcome and enjoy BYC!
Steve :frow

Yes, thank you. I now realize the heat light is to keep their WATER from freezing, not the birds! I searched and found a wonderful heated water dish plan today, and only had to buy ONE thing: the light bulb receptacle. I had everything else, even the 12x12 cinderblocks! I really am going to sleep well tonight.... it was like having a newborn baby: getting up SO many times during the night to make sure the girls were okay. (I only have THREE) They had a boyfriend, but he is no longer with us. Maybe next Spring, when we build a NEW greenhouse attached to their home.... NOW I am excited !

Back
Top Bottom