My coupe is about LARGE DOG HOUSE SIZE. 3 HENS.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarahmanyeggs, Nov 13, 2013.

1. sarahmanyeggs

sarahmanyeggs New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Grandma
    Not my first time, but these girls are new this winter. I have a red heat lamp, and am continually going out to make sure they are not too warm. The coupe is about 4'6" high, and .........maybe 4' wide. They have been sleeping on the top floor on rails, and now that the light is in there, I am afraid it may be too warm for them. (It's a red heat lamp) which was recommended at the supply store).

How large should the space be around the red heat lamp? I can't continue to go out and check on them every hour during the night!

I need a little sleep........... There are 3 full-grown hens... No babies, no rooster.

I have left the 'side window' door open so it will not be TOO HOT. (Is that a good idea?)

darn...... (sometimes you really do need a man, I guess.) ;)

2. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Take out the heat lamp. They don't need it. You can actually hurt them by not letting them acclimate to the cold. They are wearing a natural down jacket.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Excellent advice. We don't heat our coop and all of our birds are just fine here all winter.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They aren't little babies, they don't need a heat lamp. Make a mental note to yourself not to put stock in the advice from that particular supply clerk. Incidentally, you don't need a man around. You will do quite well - believe in yourself. We are here for you- men and women 24/7.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

If the power goes out your girls are left in the cold when they aren't used to it. let them get used to the cold ,take out the light. they do better in cold than the hot days of summer.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Yes remove the light, good luck to you.

9. sarahmanyeggs

sarahmanyeggs New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Grandma
    Yes, thank you. I now realize the heat light is to keep their WATER from freezing, not the birds! I searched and found a wonderful heated water dish plan today, and only had to buy ONE thing: the light bulb receptacle. I had everything else, even the 12x12 cinderblocks! I really am going to sleep well tonight.... it was like having a newborn baby: getting up SO many times during the night to make sure the girls were okay. (I only have THREE) They had a boyfriend, but he is no longer with us. Maybe next Spring, when we build a NEW greenhouse attached to their home.... NOW I am excited !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by