My cousin needs your thoughts and prayers

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by redhen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My mother called me a little while ago crying because my young cousin Chelsea is loosing her battle with Cystic Fibrosis. And her poor father as you can imagine is just devastated. He has been a single parent to his 2 children since they were toddlers. The mother is no good...no good at all...shes not even with her daughter now in this time of need. (that should say it all [​IMG] ) Over the years her disease has gotten worse despite doing everything and anything medically possiable. My cousin even took the kids and moved to NC because there is a great Cystic Fibrosis hospital down there. Well last year they told him she had to be put on the lung donor list while she was still strong enough to withstand the surgery. Last year she had a double lung transplant...and she really seemed to thrive for a while after. She gained some weight and started to feel better. Now her body is rejecting the lungs and she also has some sort of fungal infection in her lungs. The hospital told my cousin there is nothing more that can be done for her and to bring her home with hospice and make her as comfortable as possible. We are all just so devastated..shes a beautiful 16yr child who will never get to grow up. My 95 year old grandmother is heartbroken...she already lost a son this December to cancer..now her grandaughter..Shes saying things like she shouldnt have lived so long to see this..your children and grandchildren should'nt pass before you do....UGH! i wanna bawl too! Life is so sad and hard sometimes...it really is. Also i want to say that Make-A-Wish is just awesome..her wish was for a beautiful bedroom..all pinks and purples..and a big comfy bed. And they came through for her, she got her wish. so i thank those people that made that possible for her.

Here she is last summer visiting my house after the lung transplants and looking so good. her father is standing behind her with my mother. My/her grandmother next to her and then her brother.

[​IMG]

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    My Thoughts and Prayers are with your cousin and your family. [​IMG]

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Oh, redhen, what a beautiful family. I'm so sorry.

CF is terrible, and it sounds like she has seen her share of suffering, and so have you all. I'm glad for her comfy bedroom, and glad for hospice care, but so sorry for your family's sadness. I wish her peace, however it comes to her.

thinking of you.

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I am so sorry-I will be praying.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Make the rest of her time special for her and special for the whole families so you'll have wonderful memories of her in later years. Don't treat her as if she's dying, treat her as if she's got the rest of her life ahead of her. Love her, hold her, cherish her, let her know that even after she is gone she will have a huge part of your heart and that she'll live forever in your memories. Take a lot of pictures, make things together, do all you can with her and when she can't home anymore bring things and people to her. Don't let people stop coming over, she needs them now more than ever, and don't accept the "We don't want to bother her", this is when she really needs to be bothered. When she is ready to tell you she doesn't want anyone around but family, she'll tell you, she'll know, and that is when you cocoon her in familial love and help her walk through those gates on her final journey.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Prayers sent.

Ditto what Writer said.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I am so sorry for this tragedy to have invaded your family. I will be praying... I'm glad she got her pretty bedroom.

She's a beautiful young lady. [​IMG]

8. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Prayers headed her way from Ocala.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks guys. Its hard ..doubly hard when its a kid that wont have a chance to grow up. Thanks again everyone for your kind words and prayers/thoughts sent to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by