My cousin's kids count as "pests", right?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by magicpigeon, Feb 17, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    So our family organised a reunion, and we decided to have it at my place because of the larger land (blame the chickens [​IMG]). Of course, my cousin comes along as well, with his two kids which are total brats. For one thing, before I can say, "leave the hen with chicks alone!", they have my rooster net and are chasing all the chicks. I let this go and lock up the roosters who understandably start to spur the girls. [​IMG] Oh, they are 5 and 7 respectively.
    So then, they find my broody pigeon and bring me the eggs. [​IMG] Then they find my hen's eggs and decide to "check"those too!
    And at the end, we let the roosters out and realise "Hang on....there is a chick missing!" WE STILL HAVEN'T FOUND IT....[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Stories like these make me glad most of my family lives in TX and the rest don't visit. [​IMG] I hope you find your chick. [​IMG] You may want to have your cousin search the girls.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, that's so sad! I hope you find your chickie and I hope the other eggs are alright and hatch OK if you're trying to hatch them. Have you called your cousin and told them about the missing chick?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    So then, they find my broody pigeon and bring me the eggs. [​IMG] Then they find my hen's eggs and decide to "check"those too!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't have any kids but I am a teacher. When people ask me about having kids, I am reminded of stories like this one. I just send them home at the end of the day!!![​IMG] Then again, I was told you tend to love your own kids, it is other people children that make you want to [​IMG] !

I would have mom and dad question the kids... smellls kinda........ fishy!​

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My cousin's kids count as "pests", right?

They sure do! And you're not allowed to trap and relocate either!

However..........when my kids were little, I'm afraid the city cousins came out on the worst end of the stick. Seems my kids knew how to kick out at the RIR Rooster we had, turn and run---this was irresistible to the Roo and he would chase them a long way. The evil little scamps used this knowledge to tell horror tales of Rooster mayhem to the city cousins, then when showing them around, kicked and ran with the city cousins not nearly as fast as my kids or apparently the Rooster in their minds as they ran for the house screaming bloody murder and crying. Let me tell you, it was really hard not to laugh while offering condolences to the parents.

P.S. Don't let your kids talk the city cousins into wading in the creek where the leeches are!, or the poison ivy, nettles, and that dive bombing blue Jay.

6. txliss

txliss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:Weeelll, I suppose you could send them home, but it might make a scene. [​IMG]

Love the city kid stories! I have an acre and am considered by my nephews to be a "farmer" because I have a vegetable garden and laying hens. [​IMG] They are looking forward to a week at the "farm" this coming summer. Thankfully, they are very well behaved!

I hope the OP finds her baby chickie! [​IMG]

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Yes there are kids around me that drive me insane also! But may I remind you that children are a product of their training/parenting... so in essence, here we only have lazy parents that are either bad trainers/parents or they don't really care enough for their children to teach them respect for others property. Just my OP [​IMG]
    I hope you find your missing chicky!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  8. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    I agree at duramaxgirl, not all kids are bad its just that there are some who brought up to be brats due to bad parenting. And also I hope you find your missing chick as well magic [​IMG]

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

the padlocks on my coop are not just for the raccoons, catch my drift?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At 5 & 7, the kids should know (expecially the 7 year old) that they need permission before interacting with your animals. Those kids AND THEIR PARENTS need a big swat on their behinds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by