1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Cozy "Cochin Cottage" Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scifisarah, May 1, 2009.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    My husband was wonderful enough to indulge my design plans on this lovely chicken coop. It is home to my 10 bantam cochin chickens, and hopefully some call ducks soon. Here's some photos of the start to finish project. I hope it will be helpful to anyone looking for ideas on their own coop construction. I have additional photos available if anyone is interested feel free to contact me. [​IMG]

Day 2:
    [​IMG]

Day 5:
    [​IMG]

Day 8:
    [​IMG]

Day 12:
    [​IMG]

Day 15 Finished Front:
    [​IMG]

Day 15 Finished Side:
    [​IMG]

Finished Coop and Chicken Yard:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Cute as a bug in a rug. Great job!!!!

Couple questions/suggestions.

I can't tell from the photos if you have hardware cloth over the vents at the top, if not, I would suggest you do asap especially if left open at night and then if the windows will be left open at night hardware cloth over the inside of those as well.

Great job and

3. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    Very nice!

4. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Thanks! We do have hardware cloth over the vents uptop. We went way overboard with predator protection (also added netting over the top and buried fencing very deep) and I don't think we have had anything even try to break into the fortress. I suppose having a collie dog patrolling the area helps... [​IMG]

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    That is beautiful-very tastefully done! Great job and more new ideas for me!! lol [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Very nice! I love the color! Also [​IMG] and thanks for sharing.

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    one day, my chickens will upgrade to a super duper cute coop like this, for now, while times are tough, i use scraps around my yard...

great job! add this to my dream list

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Very nice. YOur cochins deserve it. They are great birds.

9. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Yeah, there is no way we could afford to build this right now if we had to do it over again. I don't think we really had an idea of how much it would all cost. The chicken tractor we made later was mostly out of scraps that were in the rafters of our garage when we moved in. My husband will soon be installing some wheels from a lawn tractor our neighbor is getting rid of. We made this thing much too heavy and my husband just about passes out every time he has to move it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    That is too cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by