My crazy 5 week olds roosted up for the night.........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WisconsinChickenWhisperer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    Finally! All of the babies have decided to actually use the roost at night! It's so funny watching them roost up-they all have their "spot", and God forbid one roosts in the other one's spot! They actually will knock each other completely off the roost to get the spot that they have claimed as "theirs". I suppose this is probably normal chicken behavior, but it's the first time that I have been able to witness it for myself. BTW, this is the top tier of the roost, 4 feet long. I have 17 chicks, and they have all decided to squeeze onto this one roost at night. I almost cannot wait to see what happens when they are all too big to fit up there...........

[​IMG]

(edited for image)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Haha, it will be interesting how they will rearange once they get bigger.

You've got quite an assortment, I like it!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Awwwww. Cute. [​IMG]

4. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    Red&Yellow :

Haha, it will be interesting how they will rearange once they get bigger.

You've got quite an assortment, I like it!

Thanks! I wanted some variety, both in color and in personality. Keeps things interesting!​

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's an adorable photograph!! And yes, when they get bigger, it's going to be VERY interesting.

In one of my grow out coops, the four pullets in it are 2 bantams and 2 large fowl, and they are still trying to snuggle up together in the very very corner, far end of the roost. When the Delaware tries to STAND on the EE, and the two Sebrights are already tucked in UNDER the RR, there is so much squawk-y complaining whilst they try to organize themselves better.

Cracked me up.

6. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    They will still try to cram on the same roost when they get bigger. It drives me nuts. They fit when they were 6 weeks old, but now at 18 weeks old it sounds like a WWF match in there when they are figuring their sleeping position at night. It does not matter how warm it is outside either, they still pile on top of each other panting.

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    And whats w/ facing all the same direction? Mine do- and so are the ones in this pic...[​IMG]

8. Rausch hens

Rausch hens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    That is just the cutest picture. Thanks for sharing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by