my crippled chicky (PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicoletm24, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i'm hoping that maybe w/ pics this could be more helpful...i tried the bandaid trick that i saw on a website provided by someone on here, which i thought would help. but it seems not that it's not that the issue....i think it's something else, what...i have no clue.

she sits on what i'd consider he knees. will not use her feet. has now rub her "knees" raw from waddling around on them. she shifts her weight from side to side (i assume bc it's sore to her to put all her weight on it).... [​IMG]

what do ya'll think...I feel HORRIBLE for her [​IMG] . i try every day, several times a day stretching her legs...bending them...hoping maybe they'll work right. i did the bandaid thing for 3 days now...and i just have no clue. she doesn't want to eat very much, and what she does, i have to help her, and to drink i have to still dunk her beak in the water and help her drink [​IMG]

PLEASE...any help would be great!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Poor little chicky [​IMG] Hope someone can help you [​IMG] Shes gorgeous by the way, what breed? [​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Try some Poly vi sol WITHOUT iron infant vitamin drops. It may be a vitamin deficiency.

4. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I had one born like that very similar, and sadly the chick passed away today. Not sure what you can do about that other than what you already are. Hope someone knows the answers for you.

5. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    How old is she?...We had one that didn't walk well for 3 days and the day we were ready to do the bandaid thing, she got better...Maybe Nettie can make some knee pads for her...We have one right now that hangs her wings down very low and seems a little lethargic...I started dosing the food with vitamins and just keep giving her love, hopefully her strength will come, sometimes some take longer than others...I hope she gets better and we understand the pain you're going thru when you feel helpless, for lack of a better word...Good luck... [​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Maybe try bandaging her raw spots, vitamins, and a whole lotta love and patience. The most prominent thing I've learned from this forum is that chickens are incredibly resilient, and can recover from some of the craziest situations! [​IMG]

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I had a Naked neck with the same type of problem and unfortunately she passed after about a week. I don't think it was spraddle leg as I had initially thought because the band aid trick didn't work for her either. She seemed to not want to eat or drink more as each day passed. I am sorry about your chick and I really have no advice for you because I couldn't figure it out either. Please keep us updated!!!

8. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I hate to add to the sad stories, but I too had a chick born the same way. I splint her leg using pipe cleaners and she lived for about 2 weeks. She had a hard time eating and drinking cause she couldn't get around well. Sadly, her other leg gave out under the pressure and we let her go.

I hope you do not add to the sad stories and have a little miracle, couldn't hurt to try vitamins though.

9. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    [​IMG]
    sadly, i believe her fate might be sealed. i'll sit and watch her in the box w/ the others, and she seems so helpless [​IMG] as i feel helpless. I've done everything i can think of!

i've been tending to these guys like my own babies....and to see one hurting like this just kills me. [​IMG]

on a diff note...my father in law took 3 of my babies to be raised by a new mother hen at his house...and they are doing GREAT! loving being outside. it took one of them awhile NOT to run to me when she heard my voice [​IMG] made me feel warm and fuzzy that he knew who momma was, at least for a little while.

I hope all turns out well with my "crip" as we've named her. when you have to take so much time with them, they seem to grow on you more then the healthy ones sometimes...

I will deff update with any changes!

thanks everyone for the support! [​IMG]

10. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    oh, and i believe her to be a red something....i forget what someone told me. but they are basically a red chicken w/ white feathering in spots...

[​IMG]
    one of these fine ladies is momma [​IMG]

does anyone know what would happen to a chick like this if a hen were actually raising it?? would it try and help it, or let it seal its own fate???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by