My crooked chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jrileyp81, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jrileyp81

jrileyp81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Tennessee
    Hello my fellow chicken "peep"le. I have a curious bird amongst my new additions. This is Squat, due to his or her Quasimodoish stature. If I was certain it was a rooster it would have been Quasimodo, but Squat will work both ways. He/she is 11 weeks old and is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Squat doesn't seem to have a wry neck or tail, but he/she is seriosly crooked. This "deformity" has not affected in any way the development or vigor of this chicken. My question is two fold. What in the world might have caused this, and is he a he or she a she? My confusion in gender comes from the fact that i see the comb and wattle of a roo, the demeanor of a hen, and shape; mind you, but he/she has begun to put on saddle feathers which are both pointed like a roo and wide like a hen. I may be reading into the variation in feathering too much and my confusion in shape may be due to the fact that he/she is just crooked, LOL. Any help or suggestions?? Thanx in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In this photo, i have a known hen and roo to the right. Both one week older. Squat is in the middle.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. jrileyp81

Sep 17, 2014
    Tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Looks like a cockerel to me but I have no idea what's going on with his back.

4. jrileyp81

Sep 17, 2014
    Tennessee
    That's what I thought. I was just hoping. Could it possibly be the way he was laying in the egg or missing a turning before hatch. Maybe it's just a genetic anomaly. I dunno.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by