My crooked little broody coop - UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justuschickens59, Jul 21, 2010.

1. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Hubby has been building me a crooked little broody coop. Here is a picture of it's progress to date. It is almost done. We still have to put the run up around the coop, put the windows in, put up the porch rails, paint the porch and rails, put another coat of paint on the whole thing (changing the window trim color, any suggestions?), hang the sign on the door, and hang the porch light. I "think" that is all, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

[​IMG]

We are also in the process of restoring our old stall barn into coops and runs. The first picture is what the barn looked like when we bought this place. The second picture is of progress to date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of our chicken bell we hung on the side of the barn. We have the chickens trained to come running when we ring the bell...they know when that bell rings there are treats to be had.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OH WOW ! ! I love the crooked little broody house! [​IMG] How did you come up with that? That is fabulous! You must be very creative, to think of that!

That barn looks like a totally new build. OMG, it is wonderful! You are surely gonna love that. Perfect place, all nice and shady, too. What a great chicken bell .... I can just see them fat ol fluffy butts come a runnin' when they hear the bell ! [​IMG]

3. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    [​IMG]

It reminds me of a playhouse I saw in the backyard of a house that was for sale. I soooo wanted that playhouse (the rest of the house was OK).

4. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks Kathy [​IMG] Hubby is creative...he's an artist. He used to work in the movie industry for years. I just tell him what I want, and he comes up with it. I'm really happy with the little broody house. It has a little nest box that bumps out on the back.

Here's a picture of the fence he built out of some cedar trees that we had to cut down. I told him I wanted a really rustic looking fence around the front of the house, and this is what he came up with.

You can check out his website too if you want. http://dragonwynddesigns.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OMG, that fence is just PERFECT! Such talent there, for sure! I'll bet there is noone else anywhere that has a fence like that! It is super spectacular! BTW .... Can I borrow your hubby for awhile? [​IMG]

6. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    i LOVE that fence it is awesome ...and the chicken house is too cute

7. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Oh my....how would your husband feel about a "vacation" to MN? You can come with!! I am in love with the chicken coop!!!! And the barn looks awesome!!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

Wow, just WOW!!

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Everything looks fantastchick!!

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

How about taking him down to Australia and make me a nice coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by