My CT Henhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CT henhouse, May 18, 2011.

1. CT henhouse

CT henhouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Well, I finally finished building the coop and run. I only have this one pic so far, I'm notorious for not chronicling work in progress. The henhouse is 8'x8', with the peak vents, soffits and ridge vent (sorry, it's cropped out of this pic), so I should have plenty of ventilation for the ladies. I used my old dog kennel for the run, and there is chicken wire along the lower 3' of it to keep the more wily predators at bay. If you look at the floor of the run, you'll see more chain link fencing. This was scrounged, and we laid it down before laying down the poles, so anything that even tries to burrow in will be stopped. This run is practically Fort Knox now. Since this pic was taken, we laid dirt in the run and added the final wall of fencing and put chicken wire overhead. This coop is way over engineered, but hey, that's how we do things where I come from.
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like it, very well thought out.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

*looks at your pics*

*thinks of mine*

Geez that's just embarrassing... and I bet you didn't get knocked in the head with a single 2x4 building it either. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Beautiful coop!

I might mention that I lost a chicken because an owl reached through my chain link dog kennel and grabbed a chicken, pulled it through and ate it. I would recommend lining the bottom few feet with chicken wire or hardware cloth to prevent this.

I love the posts under the fencing- just gorgeous.

5. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Awesome job! [​IMG]

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Great job from another CT chicken lover!

7. CT henhouse

Mar 28, 2011
    Quote:Yes, I lined the lower 3' of the run with chicken wire. Sorry to hear about your chicken.

8. CT henhouse

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I'll post more pics when I have a chance.

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great job on the quality of your run. Often times, we spend so much time/effort/money on the coop the run gets slapped together and regretted!

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I admire the way you did the outside planking. I have thought alot about that style when I do my next construction (say a chicken house or shed). I was thinking of just using some fence planking and some 1x2 to cover the gaps like you did. Good job!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by